
Big Band music holds the power to transport an individual to a different place and time. The time of pin curlers and jukeboxes and a nation at war. It means the names of Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, and, my personal favorite, Glenn Miller. It involves a rhythm that makes you want to swing; it's the toe tapping that just ensues when you hear a trumpet, trombone, or saxophone.
To put it succinctly: big band music rocks.
I have said that when it comes to being an old soul or young at heart, I tend to be youthful. However, there is a part of me that loves those things from a bygone era. The old movies, the fun skirts, the guys knowing how to swing dance (and they, and we, don't question their masculinity) and yes, the music. Even though I have a love of music, and am fairly good with words, describing the pull of big band music has on me. I just love it. It makes me want to put on a pair of peep toe heels and have a guy twirl me into his arms as we jive to "Sing, Sing, Sing" and slow dance to "Moonlight Serenade."
One would think that recordings and black and white films (containing said tunes) would be as close as I would come to such things. But that isn't true. Yesterday evening, Mom and I had the great pleasure to see In the Mood--A Musical Revue. I must say, it was such a fun way to spend two and half hours. Granted, with the exception of one little girl, I was the youngest in the audience by twenty years or so and that was kind of a weird feeling ;-) However, I think I smiled through the entire thing. The dancers were such fun and looked to be having that same fun (and good chemistry with each other, which I like to see). I knew the majority of the music played and I even sang along. I also discovered that I know most of the military anthems--except the USA Coast Guard one. For a girl who has lived the bulk of her life in a land locked state, there hasn't been much occasion to learn that one.
Not too many young people share my enjoyment of Big Band and frankly, I think it's a shame. I mean, "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy." "In the Mood." "Little Brown Jug."Please tell me y'all know what I am talking about here?! And if not, I urge you to go on Youtube and listen.....I think you will be glad that you did.
And if you find yourself wanting to take dance lessons or tapping your feet or humming them as you was dishes. Don't say that I didn't warn you! =D












4 comments:
LOVE all this music too--wish I could've been there to go with you two! <3 Can't wait to hear ALL about it!
This concert was fantastic!! I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Even those who don't profess to love big band, would probably enjoy this lively, patriotic concert.
That we saw it on Veteran's Day seemed to be so totally fitting. The salute to veterans, followed by "America the Beautiful" was moving and brought tears to my eyes.
Thanks for going to this wonderful concert with me!!
Oh sounds fun! I am SUCH a 1940s girl. Swing music, the Great American Songbook, classic Hollywood, FRANK SINATRA...love it all!
I've always liked big band music! We're actually having a swing dance at my study center in the spring, and I am so looking forward to it!
- Grace
Post a Comment