Believe it or not, my favorite of Oscar night was Jennifer Garner in Gucci. Not too many people loved this dress, but hear me out--normally Jennifer is dressed in Mom jeans, baggy sweaters, and barely there makeup. She is known for me the no fuss woman who loves supporting her husband and picking up her kids from school. Well, when Jen decides to dress up, I love seeing it. This vibrant purple stood out against all of the pale colors that the red carpet saw. Her jewels (among which is her 2.5 million dollar necklace that some jeweler had on loan to her) looked amazing as did her hair and makeup. The biggest gripe for some are the ruffles in the back. I wouldn't have envied her the task of sitting down with them, but I like that it gives the dress some pizzazz when you compare it to the front of the gown.
So while the critics might hate it, I love it...just like how I loved her husband's acceptance speech for Argo (good movie, by the way--minus all of the "F" words--I'll do a review sometime.)

#2 would be Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture. Wow! What can I say?! This is a gown! It's a "Cinderella going to the Ball" type of dress--and instead of losing a show, Jennifer tripped up the steps as she went to receive the award for Best Actress. Poor girl but chances are the same thing would have happened to me. I love the pale pink against her skintone and even though her hair is blondish, it does not wash her out. Her make-up and jewels are so sophisticated and elegant; I even like the back necklace and how tall the dress makes Jennifer. In fact, if it wasn't for the color of Jennifer Garner's gown, this would be number one in my book. Seriously, this dress is AMAZING!
Number 3 is Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta. Amy Adams can either go really right or really wrong for me--thank goodness she headed in the correct direction at the Academy Awards. Powder blue is yet another color that can wash fair skinned gals out, but chalk it up the red carpet background, that does not happen in this case. I love Amy going all "Gizelle from Enchanted" with this dress--the ruffles are just so great. Her hair is a mixture of love and hate for me, though. It feels messy and yet it isn't. Ah well. She got it mostly right.

Number 4 is Zoe Saldana in Alexis Mabille Couture. Again another dress that the critics hated that I loved. I admit, there is texture on the bust, a belt, a bow, cascading tiers, and a high to low hemline....and yet to me, it all works (well, okay, I'd ditch the bow which I find wholly unnecessary) The pale gray to a sort of black shade looks great without managing to look bland and drab. I would SO wear this dress (from a designer that I have never heard of) and I'd be willing to experiment with different colors. Zoe's hair does seem a bit dull and lifeless and yet, if she had worn it up, I don't think that would have been right either. As with Amy Adams, Zoe got it mostly right.
Number 5 is Kerry Washington in Miu Miu. I have to say, I have been paying attention to Kerry's style of late and she more often than not gets it right. The same held true at the Oscars. I love this pink/coral dress with its silver and gold bodice. Coral is a different color for the red carpet--probably because it could "clash" with the carpet, but hey, risks pay off. I'm not feeling the center part of her hair (although that could be because I hate it on myself and I'm just prejudiced towards it) and I wish she had gone with a faux bob or something. Yet it does have a delicate feel that works in unison with the delicate look of the dress. So it works in the end. Kerry Washington is also one who can get away with barely there makeup!**************************
So there you have it! My top 5 looks! Tomorrow I will do my 6 "Runners-Up" and then Sunday....THE WORST DRESSED! (Cue the JAWS music ;-)
What were some of your favorite looks?













5 comments:
Loved Jennifer's gown -- that was my favorite. Not totally sold on the others. I think the dress worn by the girl who played Eponine was lovely -- sophisticated, simple, but classy (well, mostly -- it had a pretty plunging neckline).
Jennifer (L) looked gorgeous! I do wish the color had been a bit more... vibrant since it seemed to disappear under all those lights but she looked simple yet STUNNING! :)
Jennifer Garner is always adorable and she looked beautiful - I hope she and Ben don't go through the "Oscar curse." ;) Amy is also always adorable. Critics are saying the dress should have been a different color and while I can see that... she was still cute!
Loved this, Ella - cannot wait for part 2. Golly, there were some bad looks.
Jennifer's gown was gorgeous...and hey, since we're going with the Cinderella motif, just think of the tripping as a variation on losing the slipper. ;)
I've gotta laugh...I loved all these gowns. :D Although I'm not so crazy about allllll the blush/nude colors right now...I like a bit of color. :) But Jennifer's was amazing.
Is Anne's gown going on worst? Just a random guess. ;)
I can guess worst dressed no #....Kristen? lol LOVE this post! I've been thinking of doing my own Oscars post, but the rest of the world has beat me to it. :D
Great picks! love the color of Jennifer Garner's dress!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Post a Comment