Tuesday, May 21, 2013

You Set Me Free

Sometimes a song just hits you. You know the place. The place that speaks to your soul, that hits you right where you need it to do so. Months ago, a girl on American Idol performed part of an original song and it blew judges and America away. Well, she came in third place (which bummed me out, but that is despite the point), but she released the whole single a few days ago.

And I LOVED it. The lyrics.....how about you take a listen and then read the rest of this post?


"You come, you come with open arms.
 And you say I love you for who you are. 
When I was haunted and alone with this baggage on my back--dragging me down--
You set me free."

Those chorus lyrics get me every time. Angie is a Christian--although that was definitely not made a big deal of--and I see that reflected in these lyrics. Christ has loved me for who I am, in spite of the mistakes I make day in and day out. I do have baggage on my back; I bear scars from my past hurts. 

Yet Christ has set me free.

It is an amazing thing, isn't it? I am so glad that there are people like Angie, budding singer/songwriters, who can pen songs that say everything I would wish to. And they can actually sing in the process =)

What is a song that speaks to you when you hear it?
Ella

1 comment:

Rissi said...

Oh, yay! A song recommendation. Sounds like one I'll *have* to snag on iTunes, Ella. Thanks for sharing.

Ironically I just had one of these moments a couple of weeks ago while listening to (of all things!), Carrie's 'Blown Away.' Artists that have a platform for the good and have a voice? That's a win-win. :)