Monday, June 10, 2013

Fashion Faves This Week

*Another weeks has closed which means another look back at fashion is upon us. Never fear, my hope is that you will have several posts looking at you this week. Everything from my thoughts on Star Trek (in a word: Awesome-ness) to a retrospection inspired by a reality dating show. Yeah, it's kind of varied around here. But in the meantime, these are the fashions that "rocked my world" this week.

Kerry Washington in Jason Wu began my week with a colorful start. I love seeing bright hues on the carpet and rarely is yellow one of them. Perhaps most people know that it is a hard color to pull off. All I know is that Kerry looks fantastic in this color...but then again, she often looks flawless and fantastic. Believe it or not, one of my favorite things about this look is the crisscrossed open back. Because the front of the gown is so minimalist, I believe that calls for some visual contrast--hence the open back and the pleating. I'm not the biggest fan of nude lips, but I will make an exception in this case.
*********************************

At the same event was Miranda Kerr wearing Proenza Schouler. (Yeah, I hadn't heard of that one either). I absolutely adore the vintage nature of the dress; it screams 50's glam to me. I love jewel tones, the red lip, and the hair pulled away from the face. Considering she is an (ex) Victoria's Secret model, I am very thankful that this dress has more of a demure quality to it. I border on thinking that it is too boxy in the chest region and border on liking the "subtle sexiness" as it were. What do you all think? 
******************************



Making another appearance on here is Emmy Rossum in Oscar de la Renta. Seriously, this girl always dresses flawlessly. I would love to own this green and purple dress ensemble as it screams summer to me. Now, I hate the ankle strap shoes (I hope this current trend goes away soon. For petite people like me....no, they don't look good on ;-)) However, I love everything else from the dress to the hair and pale pink lip. Emmy is proof you do not need a stylist in order to look put together in Hollywood.

**********************************

Angelina Jolie in Ralph and Russo is also on here again. Two weeks in a row I am blown away by her style. (I cannot say the same about her partner, Brad Pitt's, fashion, but we shall not go into that.) I love me some peplum, but wow, I adore this structured peplum! It elevates the look so that it is more than a white sheath dress. The gold belt/detailing also adds a crucial element to the dress. Angelina also remains on trend with the white shoes which apparently are very "in" right now. I thought they always were. Ah me. ;-) As long as Angelina keeps putting effort into her fashion, and gaining these results, I will be pleased.

*********************************

Now, I am torn about Emma Watson's Antonia Berardi look. It screams "fall" to me. Not that that is a problem per se. But it looks like wool--and the last thing I would want to be wearing is wool in the middle of summer. That being said, Emma looks flawless. I love the addition of the belt versus the runway model's styling. And I ADORE her hair color and style. The pronounced side part is very fun and this whole outfit is one of chicness. I would wear it to work--but in September and not in June.

************************************************

It is a fact universally known that I LOVE Carrie Underwood. However, when I saw this dress she wore to perform her hit "See You Again" at the CMT Music Video Awards, I about fell out of my chair. I adore this dress. Some critics said it was over the top girly--but to me, that is who Carrie Underwood is. She loves that side of her and I do as well. The blush pink and crystal embellished tea length dress was flawless from head to toe. I wish I could have gotten the close up picture to work. Her makeup looked natural and light and her hair was in a loose updo. Yep. I loved it and her performance. So much so than a particular singer and her hot pants. (*cough* Taylor Swift *cough*)
*****************************************
Lastly, I must bring to attention the royal wedding that occurred in Sweden this week. I love living in the United States, don't get me wrong. There is no other place I would rather be. However, the concept of royal weddings and heads of state coming in regal dress....it's all very appealing to me. Well, the final two fashions are of Princess Madeline of Sweden who married American Christopher O'Neill. The wedding dress was designed by Valentino  and the "rehearsal dinner" gown is Elie Saab. Now, do I love her dress more than I love Kate Middleton's? No....because Kate is Kate....my unashamed girl crush and obsession. However, I appreciate the short sleeves over Kate's long sleeved gown. However, I do think Sweden is more "libral thinking" than the UK is so that could explain the fashion differences. 

But the Elie Saab gown....Elie Saab is one of my favorite designers and I love his gowns. Period. End of discussion. And I love her hair. It kind of reminds me of Kate.....yes, I look for Kate everywhere ;-)



So you heard from me....what about you? What do you think of these fashions? Do you like them or am I way off the mark? ;-)

Ella

1 comment:

Rissi said...

YES! You mention Carrie Underwood. In my last post, I added her CMT photo in my "Link Love" and mentioned you because I wondered if you liked her look(s). I thought this dress was really sweet and girly and even her short set was unique. It wouldn't be something I'd wear (nor could I pull it off) but it was nice looking.