Sunday, June 23, 2013

When We Become Deadened

Blockbuster hits have a way of doing that. They linger on your Blogger and Facebook feeds; you see references and hashtags all over Twitter and entertainment websites. Inevitably, it makes one stop and think over their opinions about said blockbuster hits in question--in this case Man of Steel. Like many people, I spent Father's Day sitting in the theater, exposing and introducing myself to yet another superhero flick that I did not initially grow up with. (In fact, despite a dear friend of mine loving Smallville, I still hadn't done anything Superman related up until last week.)

I left the theater with mixed feelings. I'll just admit the obvious: Henry Cavill is one smokin' dude ;-) He was gorgeous to look at (and I can say that I saw him before he was Superman/Clark Kent--AKA on "The Tudors"). I also enjoy watching Amy Adams, so I wasn't going to complain about her. My issue with the film primarily lies in the last hour.

When a friend told me that "if a movie ever suffered from too much violence, it's this one," I wasn't quite sure what to believe. Frankly, it seemed like an exaggeration. Yet a week later, that is the thing I most remember about Man of Steel. Another friend on Twitter said, "Man of Steel? More like man who likes to smash skyscrapers and kill hundreds of innocent people." Truer words were, in my opinion, were never spoken.

You see, as I sat in the theater, I kept getting flashbacks to 9/11. A day that was painful for all Americans and one I would not rather revisit. But as I watched building after building crumble in on itself, I was taken back to that horrible Tuesday morning. Look at the picture off to the right--it looks like a production still and yet, it's not. It is the real thing.

Eerie isn't it?

The violence hasn't gone completely unnoticed by the critiquing public. However, there are excuses made, I am sure. "Oh, the director Zach Snyder did the film "300." Of course this one will also be violent." "This was supposed to be a darker version of Superman--much like Christopher Nolan did with Batman."

You know what? Let's just call a spade a spade.

We have become deadened to a lot of things.
We walk around in a trance. We make excuses. We become used and accustomed to things. I'm just as much of an offender as the next person. Media talks about events so much that when there is a kidnapping or some major catastrophe, our natural reflex is "oh wait, that happened? I thought that was last week."

Nothing fazes us anymore

I guess that's why I am happy about the fact that Man of Steel didn't completely sit well with me. It proves that while I tolerate innuendo, while I am content to just use a fast forward button during a sex scene, I still have things that make me unsettled. And useless violence is one of them. For some reason, even "The Avengers" or "Captain America's" violence scenes didn't bug me as this one has. Perhaps because I felt like I had someone to root for. Whereas Henry Cavill's Superman, no matter how well he filled out a spandex uniform, left me wanting a redemptive character to root for.

I know. It flies in the face of everything Superman is supposed to me.
But I didn't. I didn't root for him. I didn't NOT root for him. I felt indifferent to his character. And you never should feel that way. If you read a book or watch a movie and feeling nothing for all of the people involved, that is a sign of a problem.

I feel we have one here on so many levels. Will that feeling change with another viewing of Man of Steel? Do I care enough to find out?

****************************
I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts. Here are some "official" reviews for your reading pleasure. =)

*Ruth's Review here
*Charity's Review here
*Rissi's Review here

Ella

6 comments:

Charity said...

I've been thinking on this topic a lot lately as pertains to entertainment -- I think that moment when we STOP being offended and/or shocked by something is the moment we should truly worry about ourselves. But our culture is becoming SO "used" to violence -- you can flip on the television and watch slow-motion blood spatter walls from someone's neck being sliced open on a crime show.

Europeans often critique us for this -- I frequently run into their accusations that "America loves its guts 'n' gore but God forbid we see a woman's breast!" -- and while I don't agree with them that nudity is appropriate (it's much more rampant in programming abroad) they do have a point.

Since I'm really not much of an emotional person, I didn't think much of 9/11 during Man of Steel (other than "oh, so that's why people are upset... yeah, I can see why it would upset them") but watching OTHER THINGS recently have give me a sense of relief that I can't just take sincerely violent actions in stride.

Rissi said...

Sorry you didn't care for the movie, Ella. :/ Perhaps the sequel will surprise everyone and come back ten times better! A girl can hope, right!? ;)

I don't think 'Avengers' or 'Captain America' were nearly as destructive. Only watched both once though so... don't quote me! :) I will say 'Avengers' has a pretty oblivion scene at the end if memory serves me right.

THANK YOU so much for the review shout-out. Sure appreciate it. :)

Rissi said...

PS: Agree with what you say Charity. When we stop being bothered... that's a time to worry.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, and everything I've read about it makes me think I'll wait and get it from Redbox.

(SPOILER ALERT!) I read an article in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly that addressed this issue, though I can't find an online copy yet. Anyway, they pointed out that Superman had this code of honor traditionally, where he would never take a life. And then in a comic 20 years ago or so, he did have to take a life, and it haunted him. But in this, he kills some one, and then it cuts to a scene with him laughing and joking, and all is well. And that's just not Superman. It's just Man. (END SPOILER ALERT)

Also, in The Avengers, it's the Bad Guys causing all kinds of destruction. The Avengers themselves work hard to save people, diverting the aliens away from populated areas, getting the police to evacuate civilians, etc. From what I've read/heard about this, Superman is causing some pretty crazy destruction himself. Again, not super. Just man.

Alexandra said...

Verrrah interesting points, dear!

As you know, I loved it. :) However, I saw the film more as a prequel for the sequel, so the various holes didn't bother me. As for violence...I feel odd that it didn't bother me the way it did so many others. I thought it was a tad long, but the battle scene didn't bother me any more than the final Avengers battle. I'm not a fan of senseless violence in films, but battle scenes don't seem to bother me as much.

Have to say in response to Hamlette's comment that there is definite remorse after he kills Zod (despite being out of character I'd be upset if he didn't in the context of the scene).

Superman has always been my #1 favorite hero, and honestly I so enjoyed the realism of the film after the campiness (as much as I love it) of the 1978 film.I'm really looking forward to the sequel!

All that said, you have a very good point about becoming desensitized...something we need to remind ourselves of!

And one thing we can agree on here...Henry Cavill is outtathisworld. I maaaaay have spent my afternon pinning pictures...;)

Unknown said...

I think you are right about so many things here. This was just so unnecessarily violent IMO, and no redeeming character moments/development...the more I thought about the film the more I soured on the whole experience. Very unfortunate given Superman's history and potential IMO. Good post!