Title: The Words
Starring: Bradly Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Jeremy Irons, Dennis Quaid, Olivia Wilde
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
*************************
It gives the appearance of a simple book reading. Clayton Hammond (Dennis Quaid) is sharing his book "The Words." It's the story of Rory Jansen (Bradley Cooper) and his wife Dora (Zoe Saldana). Rory is an aspiring writer yet he seems to be going nowhere. He might work in an literary agency, but that doesn't mean he is an automatic shoo in to get published. In fact, the opposite is true. Rory has already been rejected once. It looks hopeless. Maybe everyone was right--maybe it was time to plan on a "real job."
Until the day, while on their honeymoon, Rory comes across an old briefcase. Seemingly harmless enough, yet also be found within the briefcase is a story. It's a poignant story, one that Rory wishes he had written. He types the pages up on the computer just to feel alive again. Writers like to feel words coursing through their fingers with no inhibitions. But Dora believes they are his words.....and then, Rory does the impossible....he submits the story to be published under his own name.
It takes off and Rory begins to be well known, award winning author. However, a chance meeting in Central Park with "The Old Man" (Jeremy Irons) proves to be a fateful one. You see....the story that Rory stumbled upon....was written by the Old Man back in WWII. It was his story.But this is not the end of the tale for any of them.
************************************
For the longest time, I have wanted to watch this movie. Being an aspiring writer myself, it just stood out to me. It is an identifiable one. After all, what person, at some point or other, doesn't contemplate stealing the words of another person? Especially in those moments when we feel as if the words will not come. That is a hard place to be in. The Words is a thought provoking movie--one that does share that we eventually move on from our mistakes. However, we are forever changed by them.....just as Rory is. Just as the Old Man is. Just as Clayton is.
The media panned this movie and I am not completely sure why. The acting is fantastic, especially where Jeremy Iron's character is concerned. The plot, though, is slightly convoluted. At times, it is three stories in one and trying to keep up with that can be a little daunting. Yet it's also where I feel the film has a slight brilliance. It dares to be different.
Content is minimal. Sexual content is some passionate kisses. There is one "F" word and a couple uses of "s***" God's name in vain is used a couple of times as well. But on the whole, there isn't much to speak of though for everyone, it is different so use your own judgment.
I came away really glad that I had watched The Words. It left me with a lot to think about and really, I don't think that the media was right in its reviews. Yes, the script could have been better, but you know, so can a lot of movies.......I find that this movie is actually a gem. When something leaves you with a thought to ponder, that is the sign of a good film.
Most people I have run into have never even heard of this.....have you? If not, I say rent it =D












4 comments:
I've been wanting to see this!!! =D THank you for the review, sister.
JEREMYIRONSOHMYGOSHJEREMYIRONSOHMYGOSH.
Ahem. I'd really like to see this...never heard of it! ;)
Thanks for the review, I'd kinda forgotten about how I wanted to see this movie once upon a time. ;)
Hmm. I actually hadn't heard of this -- I'll have to see if the library has it.
BTW, I tagged you in this post. Play if you want to!
Post a Comment