Monday, February 25, 2008

Lessons in the Grocery Store

It has to be done. If we didn't, our families would starve. Even then, going grocery shopping isn't something we consider fun. Reading labels, noticing the different prices per ounce, all of these things are good skills that are necessary to being a homemaker. And just watch, you will never guess how many life lessons you will find at the grocery store! Here were my observations from my trip with Mom on Saturday.



~~Everyone complains about our obese society. The news constantly has blurbs on the news about it, Dr. Phil and Oprah are telling people how to lose the pound, diet books always seeming to be on the New York Times Best-Seller lists, and yet, the majority of Americans are obese. But you know, look in peoples' carts and you will find out why! Processed foods, fried foods, sugared foods, frozen foods.....there is your answer! I am so blessed that my mom has tried to instill in me healthy eating habits. I don't do it all the time, but it is definitely the norm!~~

~~Kids still need to be disciplined even while grocery shopping. You have them darting around carts and aisles, all the while wearing those annoying roller shoes (that will cause somebody one day to get seriously hurt or killed....or another person.....then imagine the lawsuit!) When I have children of my own, I intend to keep them close to the cart. And then, they will be courteous and respectful of others. I don't anticipate saints, but I do want them to be a light for Christ.~~

~~Buy in bulk when you can. Our grocery store here has a bulk foods section where you can get flour, sugar, pasta, spices, etc. for a fraction of the cost. It helps cut down on the grocery bill~~

I know I had more than that, but one belongs in its own post. Let me know what you find when you make your next trip to the grocery store! Happy shopping!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly don't want to give the impression that I have it all together. My weight is not what I would like it to be, and I LOVE potato chips and French fries. I wish I ate more fresh vegetables and less cheese and crackers. But what I do know is that there is the principle of reaping and sowing. If we sow poor foods, we can expect poor health (illness, obesity, etc.) How could it be otherwise? You always reap what you sow. Actually, we treat our cars better than we treat our bodies. After all, would anyone dump a bag of potato chips into their car's gas tank? I think not, as we know that would be disastrous. Why, then, do we think our bodies can stand a constant onslaught of garbage?

When you go to the grocery store, not only is it amazing what people fill their carts with, but even more amazing are the THOUSANDS of non-foods that line the shelves. Foods that have little to no nutritional value, that just add calories to our lives. Our bodies then spend precious energy trying to digest these non-foods, and for what purpose? They are digested, but there is no nutrition to be assimiliated from them. I have heard it said that a person ought to just shop the perimeter of the grocery store, where the produce, meat, and dairy are, and stay away from the center aisles, where the thousands of packaged non-foods are. Now, if they could just get the potato chips and Chex mix onto those perimeter aisles!!!


Love,
Mom

Beverly said...

A few lessons I've learned:

1. When there is a deep discount for an item, stock up (especially if you have coupons.

2. Don't go to the grocery store hungry (I tend to impulse buy when I am hungry).

3. I SOOOOO agree with your thoughts about children. I always take my 18 month old at a good time of day when she is well rested. She knows what rules apply to grocery shopping, and she usually does well. Of course, there are times when she has had to be disciplined!

4. I now buy my produce from a small family owned farmers market. Produce prices have skyrocketed, so it is very cost effective!

Alice said...

Ah...you have inspired me to eat better! While we were gone, we didn't have a lot of access to fresh vegetables, and now I am totally out of the habit of eating them. So, thanks! :-) And thanks to Ella's mom for her comments!

I normally think buying in bulk is cheaper, and I think it usually is, but I found an exception the other day. I was trying to get M&Ms for cookies (yeah, junk, I know!), and they were cheaper in the bags. So, I guess you just have to compare the price per pound. They were on sale, too, so I got a good deal. :-)

Anna Naomi said...

Great tips on grocery shopping! This is one area I don't do as much, as mom is out more alone doing other things, so she usually runs the errands. However, if need be, I can always shop as I know what we buy and so on. I hope to get better at budgeting and using coupons when I can.

Alice, your comment about M & Ms reminded me - we use them for cookies sometimes, and recently all my cookies have looked rather Christmasy! Why? Because we bought big bags of red and green M & Ms for only 50 cents at after Christmas sales!

Ella said...

Mom, I love junk food too. I have a sweet tooth that I wish would go away! However, we do try, and for that I am thankful.

Mrs. Beverly, yes, it is a bad idea going to the grocery store when you are hungry. Anything looks good then! And with produce, during the summer we either grow some of our own or get it from farmer's markets. We try to go without the chemicals.

Alice, our family tries to buy things on sale too. Cake mixes were 50 cents a few weeks ago, so we bought as many as the coupon allowed,. Not healthy, I know, but a cake sounds good sometimes. It isn't always easy for me to eat fresh vegetables, but reminding myself of their good helps....sometimes!

Anna, I don't always enjoy the grocery store. But the mom time makes it wonderful....plus, we usually get a bite to eat before of after. (And sometimes, for a BIG treat, Starbucks:-)

Neesie said...

What wonderful suggestions! My sister...as she has already shared, has started to be quite a "smart" shopper and my mom has been following her example...now I need to pay attention more so that I can learn too! Good post. :)