Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Family's Recommendation of 26 Good "Old" Movies for Your Viewing Pleasure

After much discussion with family and friends, I have opted to give y'all some of my family's movie night finds. I know I just listed a few of them, but I wanted to go all out this time. After all, I know it is so hard to find decent movies for the whole family to watch without the need of the remote. I want you to know that every single one of these listed is absolutely fine: no sexual elements, no language, nothing explicit...it's refreshing. I hope you find some that you haven't watched before and that you enjoy them like my family does. Movie nights are wonderful times at our house! And oftentimes, good discussions come as a result of what we have viewed.





Drama/War/Westerns


The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)--This is, in my opinion, Humphrey Bogart's best acting job. You really see what greed does to people.


Key Largo (1948)--Nothing much to say, except that it's good


Dark Passage (1947)--Our favorite of the movies Bogart and Lauren Bacall did together.


Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)--An eye opening story of what most likely goes on in the government.


The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)--We have all heard of the honor of World War II veterans. This brings it to life.*


Sergeant York (1941)--Alvin York, a man of character


Pride of the Yankees (1942)--Oh to live in the days when sports people were men of honor...instead of overpaid steroid users.


Gaslight (1944)--suspenseful, but not too spooky


Spellbound (1945)--okay, more spooky than Gaslight, the first time you watch it. But no worries, it's not that bad =)


The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)--for Garrett's sake, I am doing this. The rest of us find it too depressing..WWII movie.


The Desperate Hours (1955)--Would you like your family held hostage by Humphrey Bogart?


High Noon (1952)--Hard to decide what I want to say


3:10 to Yuma (1957)--The old one with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin...not Russell Crowe and Christian Bale





Comedy/Romantic Comedy/Musicals

Sabrina (1954)--The one with Audrey Hepburn....It is so cute!


You Can't Take it With You (1938)--a sweet, lighthearted, funny movie. Garrett and I love this one.


The Shop Around the Corner (1940)--It was the first "You've Got Mail." I will just stick with and watch this one, thank you very much.


Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)--Say we want a movie on a Thursday or something (movie night is on Saturday), just suggest this one, and Mom is all for it---she loves it! Gary Cooper is her favorite.


Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)--Cary Grant is bound to leave you in stitches with this one.

My Favorite Wife (1940)--Cary Grant goes from one wife, to two, to none, to one....it's funny!

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)--Don't freak out with the title. It is only about a man with a devilish temper. It's quite cute actually.


Shall We Dance (1937)--Again, it's the old one with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Oh, I love musicals and with Gershwin's music....what more could you ask for?


Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)--Who doesn't like this movie?


The Philadelphia Story (1940)--Absolutely cute


High Society (1956)--My most recent acquisition. It's the musical version of "The Philadelphia Story" and I am a sucker for musicals


Sound of Music (1965)--a Mother's Day tradition


Harvey (1950)--Do you have a pet rabbit?!


(I hope you all enjoy these. The asterisk on The Bridges at Toko-Ri was because of a scene where there is a communal bathhouse. You don't see anything, I promise. It borders on funny.)

15 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for these great recommendations Ella!

Linda Marie said...

How embarassing... I've only seen two of all these! :) Several that I think I want to see though, so thanks for the tips!

Anna Naomi said...

Thank you for these reviews! Our family has recently been looking for good movies to watch. Mom printed out this list, and we'll bring it with us when we go to the library.

Anonymous said...

Since we've discovered this love for old movies, we don't have to watch The Wilderness Family and all those other survival-type movies quite as often. Bet you're glad of that, huh?

Anonymous said...

You know, several of those movies have been remade in recent years. I think I will stick with the original version, because I know that most likely "stuff" has been added to the newer film to make it more contemporary. Case in point, the movie "Mr. Deeds", which we recently saw on the store shelves. Why would anyone want to watch the new version, complete with Adam Sandler and what the movie case called "rear nudity", when they can enjoy Gary Cooper and no nudity whatsoever. I'm unashamedly not with today's standards!

Ella said...

Megan, I hope you find some that you enjoy!

Linda, up until two months ago, I hadn't seen many of these. Probably only four.

Anna, I can't say which ones I would recommend first, but I want you to tell me what you think of them!

Mom, yes, acting nowadays has gotten terrible, even if you avoid the negative elements thrown in now. Plus, no one can come up with an original idea. I like what we watch....and not viewing The Wilderness Family over and over again is wonderful!

Big Mistake said...

We like the movie Bringing Up Baby and I Remember Mama. Both good oldies!

Beverly said...

These are great movies - I think I have seen all but 4 of them. I love old movies - my mom, sis, and I used to raid the library for them every weekend!

Ella said...

Erin, Bringing Up Baby is one we have for this week.

Mrs. Beverly, aren't old movies fun? We also raid our library and I am finding we are watching many...thank goodness we can check out from other branches!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for this list! I have seen a few already, but am glad for some more to look forward to!

Jasmine Baucham said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Ella!

Anonymous said...

Of course, not all of these movies are "feel good" movies. Especially the war ones. They wouldn't be realistic if everyone lived in them. But since you've been studying World War II lately, we decided to watch movies that bring that time period to life.

Ella said...

Bonnie, I am glad you found a few more to choose from!

Jasmine, glad you found my list! I will be interested to know your thoughts.

Mom, you are right. Some are not feel good movies---that's why I prefer the ones that are!

Anonymous said...

Hey....Where is my all time favorite?

Ella said...

Sorry, Dad =)