Sewing is something relatively new for me. I am teaching myself which makes it difficult. But I have to do what I have to do. One staple that I have been lacking is a summer jean skirt. Well, I bought the pattern and material and set to work.
I couldn't have done it without my wonderful dad's help. He is one who helped me interpret Simplicity's patterns when they didn't make one ounce of sense to me. (And they were even difficult for him at times.) He also did the hard steps for me. Perhaps this seems odd, but I do better once I have seen somebody do something; I can then repeat it.
This morning, all I had to do was the hem. Dad knew I wanted to cut some off, as it was longer than I wanted. He told me to measure twice and cut once, because you can only cut once!! Well, I did measure twice; I made sure it was straight and even all the way around....but I still got it slightly shorter than I wanted.

The skirt is so comfortable. And it isn't too short. I am completely covered, even when I sit down! Yet regardless of my little blunder, I will definitely be using this pattern again. It will be much easier too and the plan is to make another jean skirt....but leaving it alone this time!! Oh well. You live, you learn, you try again.
Oh, pardon the fuzziness of the picture...and my hair...and my smile. Nothing was cooperating this morning. You know how it goes!! =)











12 comments:
I think you did a great job!! The skirt is very pretty, and I love the feel of that stretch denim.
Love,
Mom
Oh, Ella! I think it's perfect -there's nothing wrong with your skirt, your hair, or your smile -stop that! :)
I have the opposite problem, being a bit tall and having a really long midriff -I can't seem to find shirts that come down past my waistline sometimes. :)
What a blessing, learning how to make your own clothes! It will no doubt be very useful in the years to come.
Very nice! I've wanted to sew myself a skirt for a while now. It is always encouraging to see other people's work!
-Miss S.
Again, you did a great job, Ella! I think your picture is cute - you look lovely! Enjoy your new skirt!
I can't sew either so I have a few seamstresses make my dresses for me. It's worth it though as there quality of work and the fabric they use is just awesome!
I can relate to the lack of modest clothing...ugh....
Sometimes though when fall and winter clothes begin to come in, that's when stores have the plaid skirts, the wool skirts, etc and a girl can really find some modest things then.
Of course it's 111 degrees in Texas and the last thing on my mind is a wool skirt...lol.
God Bless,
Dawn
MOm, I love the feel of stretch denim too. It isn't nearly as stiff and painful to wear.
Jasmine =) Okay, so I am a little hard on myself. My skirt wasn't supposed to be as short as it is, but I do love it. I do have problems finding shirts, trust me!! I am not long waisted but I can't find anything I like.
Miss S., Sewing is good if you can't find the clothes you want. I have been unable to find a jean skirt I was happy with. Sewing is difficult, though. Sometimes I have to remember that I will eventually get it in order to keep pressing on.
Anna, I am enjoying it! It is so comfortable!!
WOW! I guess I just assumed that every girl that wanted to be a home-maker one day knew how to sew and so I felt really bad that I didn't know how to very well. I've made a few things and I also made something a tad too short. Because it was a flared jumper (I failed to notice how flared it was), it looked like a little girl's dress. :P I think you're skirt looks very cute and great for warm weather too! Great job! You look very cute in it. Jasmine's right...don't put yourself down...that's an ORDER! ;-)
Shalom! :-)
I wanted to make a comment about the comment Sydney made.
I think it would surprise you the number of homemaking-minded young ladies who never learned to sew. That is because they, like my sweet daughter, are products of the 1970's, when women were encouraged to throw off the "shackles of home." We grew up believing that home-minded, old-fashioned things like sewing, cooking from scratch, quilting, etc. were just a waste of our time and talents. Sadly, we fell for those lies and now find ourselves in our 30's and 40's, yearning to cultivate those skills that women in previous generations knew from a very young age. And our daughters are reaping the consequences of our lack of knowledge, for they don't have mothers to teach them those things.
But, praise God, as today's daughters grow up embracing the home and the home-centered skills, they will be able to teach their own daughters much more easily than today's moms have been able to teach their daughters.
Love,
Mom
That is such an adorable skirt!! It looks very good on you.
I just started working on a jean skirt today and is coming along nicely.
Blessings,
Brooke
Sydney, don't feel bad at all about not knowing seweing well! I surely don't! Everything my mom said makes sense as to why!
Mom, I totally agree with you!
Brooke, thank you!
Thank you for your kind words "Mom." Now, I don't feel so bad. :-) What you said is very true about so many unfortunately. Thanks for bringing that point to our attention.
Shalom! :-)
I think you did an excellent job, Ella! What a cute skirt :-)
Post a Comment