Okay, for those of you who didn't do my guessing post, and want to, SKIP THIS POST!! Since I am going to reveal the answers now. My mom got the most right--with 12. Jasmine and Maiden Meghan had 10. Miss S.-9. Jessica-8. Robert-7. Anna and Miriam-6. Julia-2. and Madison had 1.
#1.) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. This is my favorite musical of all time. I really need to get a DVD instead of my VHS tape. I think almost all of you had this one. For those who guessed (or wondered), my favorite song is "Goin' Courtin" with "Spring, Spring, Spring" a very close second.
#2.) Shall We Dance? Either I stumped you or nobody knew it. This is my second favorite musical and my favorite of the Rogers/Astaire team. I love the musical score and lyrics by George and Ira Gershwin--George is one of my favorite composers. Anyway, I cannot pick between two songs: "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" and "They Can't Take That Away From Me." Definitely watch this one, if you get the chance.
#3.) Roman Holiday. Audrey Hepburn is perfect as the Princess Anya in this film, for which she won an Oscar. I can totally recommend it to you. You might not like the ending, but it is the right ending.
#4.) High Society. Grace Kelly is the most elegant and classy actress to have ever come out of Hollywood, in my opinion. This is the musical version of "The Philadelphia Story." I must say that I love Frank Sinatra. He has the coolest voice.....or one of them. I can recommend this movie also. And my favorite song is "You're Sensational," which Sinatra sings to Kelly.
#5.) Enchanted. Okay, so almost everyone got this one too. I recently watched it, and I thought it was delightful. The lowcut dresses leave something to be desired, but I was pleasantly surprised by the positive messages Disney left in it. Use your own discretion, because of the dresses and the whole fantasy thing.....but I think it is good. My favorite song in the film is "That's How You Know."
#6.) Gods and Generals. I was surprised that as many of you got this as you did. It is rated PG-13 for violence, but I say it is definitely worth it. They are not shy about the faith of Stonewall Jackson. It's a powerful movie, though rather long and some might get tired of the speeches.
#7.) Sound of Music. The most obvious of all the pictures....and I tried a "harder" one. I grew up watching this movie. We now own the 2 disc collector's edition, so I enjoy watching the bonus features. My favorite song would have to be "Edlewiess," since I play it on the piano.
#8.) Singin in the Rain. I picked a slightly harder picture, as I knew Debbie Reynolds would give it away =) This musical is funny with quite a few good songs. I must tell you though that I fast-forward one dancing number. It is in the dream sequence; I skip it because it is pretty raunchy. The rest of the movie is great; Garrett even likes it. But choosing songs.....it is between three: "Make Em' Laugh," "Good Mornin'," and "Singin in the Rain."
#9.) Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. I knew none of you would get this...besides Mom. This is her absolute favorite movie of all time; Gary Cooper is her favorite actor. The movie is worth watching at least once.
#10.) The Best Years of Our Lives. This is my favorite "home front" movie. If you get a chance to watch a post war movie, I would recommend this one. My family loves old movies, and we just recorded this one (after watching it many times) I wrote about it in one of my archives, if anyone goes looking for it.
#11.) Vivacious Lady. This is definitely a must see movie. It is so funny! We love Jimmy Stewart and Dad really likes Ginger Rogers. Put the two together and our family was content. You will laugh hysterically in some scenes.
#12.) The Tender Trap. Once again, I love Frank Sintra's singing. This isn't exactly a musical; Sinatra only sings the beginning credits and the same song plays throughout the movie. "(Love is) The Tender Trap." It is a dated movie; watching it, you will see why. But it is delightful.
#13.) State Fair. It says "State Fair" on the picture, so that gives it away. This is my second favorite of Rodgers and Hammerstein.....and only because I grew up with "The Sound of Music." I enjoy the two main actors in this, since I have seen them in many other old films. My favorite song is "It's a Grand Night for Singing."
#14.) Eight Below. This is a new(er) movie that I can recommend. There is no language and minimal sexual elements. It is like "Homeward Bound" only without the language. I cry at the end, so does Mom. The whole family enjoys this one, though we haven't watched it in a little while.
#15.) National Treasure 2. Maybe I stumped you. You knew it was "National Treasure" of some kind. I thought I should be a little harder. Dad and I went to see NT2 the day after Christmas; it is a fun way to have a father/daughter date. I like NT1 better, but this wasn't bad at all. I would love to see a "National Treasure 3." There is one pretty low dress and a guy keeps looking in all the wrong places.....but that's for like 5 minutes. Everything else is smooth sailing.
#16.) Emma. And yes, it is the "Emma" with Gwenyth Paltrow. The picture I got was in black and white. I love this version of Jane Austen's classic. I have seen the other one, but this is way better. The soundtrack is lovely too.
Hope you all enjoyed finding out the answers. And maybe you found a new movie or two to watch. Yet please, use your own judgment. EVERYONE has different criteria!
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











7 comments:
Yes, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town is my absolute favorite movie...although I really have about 15 favorites. I can't imagine the remake and have no intention of ever watching it. Adam Sandler in a Gary Cooper role? No thanks. And, of course, the remake has to have nudity in it (according to the DVD case), which is absurd. I'll stick with the '36 version!! Thanks for listing this one.
Love,
Mom
Oh, Jessica's guess for #11, Vivacious Lady, was Made for Each Other. In that shot, Ginger Rogers really did look a lot like Carole Lombard. I'm thinking it's about time to watch that one again.
You like so many of the movies I like!!! Too bad I don't see your post before, I would have guessed.
Some of my favorites are Seven Brides for Seven Bothers, State Fair, Singing in the Rain, and The Best Years of Our Lives. I have seen almost all fo the others too.
They just don't make movies like they used to!!!
I love old movies!
The Best Years of Our Lives is great! Incredibly touching!
My favorite songs from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers are the same as yours! Though the 'Spring, Spring, Spring," song goes on for awhile. :) I'll have to watch, Shall We Dance. I adore Gershwin music! Great post! Very fun!
Hi Ella ~ Those are some great movies. My family liked Enchanted as well. I thought the princess portrayed a nice picture of femininity. The movie wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. :-)
Have a nice Sunday tomorrow!
~Amanda
Okay, Mom....Gary Cooper is better than Adam Sandler. It doesn't take much to be better than him.
Neesie, they don't make movies like they used to, which is a shame....and why my family watches old movies!!
Meghan, oh yes, if you like Gershwin, "Shall We Dance" is an absolute must!! It is one of my favorites, and the best one of Astaire and Rogers that I have seen.
Amanda, I thought "Enchanted" had good messages abbout marriage. And I did love that Giselle work dresses (albeit lowcut ones) all the time!
Older movies are better and since we started getting TCM up here I've been able to watch many movies.Mr.Deeds Goes To Town is coming on next week so I'll check it out.
I'm not big on musicals but I do like The Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof.I will check out Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Have you seen the movie "The Enchanted Cottage"(1945)? I read about it on the YLCF last year and was able to tape it from TCM.It's a great movie about true love.
Post a Comment