Friday, September 19, 2008

Mall Moments....and Modesty

I very rarely go to the mall. Frankly, I can never find things I like. Plus, mall clothes aren't exactly in my budget. When I have to get my clothes, I either do thrift stores or Walmart.

However, my clothing style has changed of late. I am sick and tired of people asking me if I want kid's menus at restaurants (I hang back so the host doesn't see me.) I am fed up with the fashions geared for the "Hannah Montana" tweens. If there is a word that I want to sum up my dressing style, it is "classy....." but I have nothing like that in my wardrobe.

It was a long shot, but last night, Mom said we should see if the mall had what I was looking for. I will admit, I wasn't too hopeful. Most of what the mall has is "not me." But I went along with her for the ride (since Mom time is good even you don't get something.) We tried Macy's first.



And believe it or not, I found something!! On the clearance rack, I found this lovely red dress. It was exactly what I was looking for. I call it my "Audrey Hepburn/Grace Kelly dress." (Can you tell that I watch a lot of 40's and 50's movies?) Now, it was still more than I would usually spend for one article of clothes, but......

The rest of the evening proved fruitless. Yet, I also discovered, on our way out, that my mall does have a modest clothing store!! I have seen Down East Basics on the internet, but I assumed it was only an online retailer. I am happy to be wrong! So now if I find something I like, I can try it on.

However, mixed in with a little bit of good, there is a lot of bad still at the mall. I know why I don't shop that much: it is depressing. You have to go hunting to find something remotely good, but if you want short, tight, and revealing, you don't have to look far.

And then, there are the stores I positively detest. Can you guess which two.....Mom and I do not like Victoria's Secret and Abercrombie and Fitch one bit! I am sorry, but for a girl who wants to live and purity (and wants guys to be that way too) these two stores are battlegrounds of the mind and eyes. I would love to play a role in getting rid of Victoria's Secret especially. Does any one have any ideas? =) (And can you tell I have a new blog title in the works.)

So, overall, my time with Mom was great and beneficial. I got my dress, sure, but over pretzels and cookies (for who can go to the mall and not eat?!) we discussed modesty, the changing times, politics. It is these things that I will remember.

9 comments:

Patti said...

It was lots of fun going to the mall together...and having a yummy snack. And I'm thrilled that we found you such a classy/pretty dress. I love it. I can easily picture Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn wearing it. Sure wish they had one in my size too. You know, it blows my mind. Why would women throw away clothes like that for the jeans and T-shirts or polyester business suits that they wear nowadays? Dresses like yours are gorgeous...why wouldn't women want to look that way every day? It just doesn't make sense to me. If it's the discomfort of panty hose, they could easily go barelegged. Panty hose are certainly not a requirement. Sure wish those late 40's/early 50's styles would come back into fashion.

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Sounds like you and your mom had a lot of fun. :)
Don't you love it when you go somewhere and you find something that is just PERFECT? I know I do... of course, what girl doesn't? :P
I agree Victoria's Secret, is, rather... BAD.
I have also seen Down East Basics on the internet. It looks pretty good. I think my mom has a gotten a few things from there before.
Also, one last thing: I know what you mean about feeling like you can't find anything. I remember this summer, I was SO frustrated about there being almost no modest clothing in the store. But hopefully I'll have more luck this winter. :)

~Madison

Anna Naomi said...

Sounds like fun! Your dress is lovely - have fun wearing it!

Sara said...

I love your dress, Ella! You're right, it is EXACTLY the kind of dress Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly would wear. =) I love vintage clothes. I agree with your mom- I really wish those kind of styles were more popular.

Miriam N. said...

That dress looks so good on you, Ella!

I know what you mean about stores to avoid in the mall. I go to the mall very rarely and I normally go for stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond or in our mall we have a JC Penney's and if I need a specific piece of clothing then I go there.

lol, the last time I went to the mall it was for a birthday scavenger hunt. Imagine 20+ kids scurrying around a large mall looking for items on a list. It was crazy!

Sara said...

Beautiful new background!

Ella said...

Yes, Mom, I quite agree with you. Why women wanted a change from frumpy to classy is beyond me. I can't tell who I imagine wearing my dress more---but any of them work! But I WILL pass on pantyhose.

Madison, Mom and I did have a lot of fun together! It was great to find something, but it is SO rare. The rest of the evening was a flop. But one is better than none.


Anna, I love wearing it. It is so comfortable!!

Miriam, out mall here is pretty big, in that it has JCPenny, Macy's, Dillards, Sears...but then it has the Abercrombie and Fitch's.

Sara, I love vintage clothes also. I would love to see them come back. And I am glad you like the new background! And oh, I have been wanting to tell you that I am sorry I have not gone on your blog. My internet filter has most of Blogspot blocked...I am working on it!

Sara said...

That's ok Ella. =)

Kelsey said...

You look very beautiful Ella!