Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm Not Here to Buy

While I am not one of those girls that has to go shopping every day of the week and increase their wardrobe with every trip, I do enjoy browsing through stores. Sure, it is great when you can buy things, but more often than not, either your frugality or your common sense convinces you to just look and "have fun."

I have gone on two such trips here in Pittsburgh. The first was back on Friday and I went to my first antique shop. Meghan is majorly into antiquing and even though she didn't know I was coming this year, it was on her agenda to go with me. So we did.

I thought antique shops were just a place to keep junk....and sell it for some times ridiculously high prices. But actually, I had fun looking around. Being a 1940's and 50's fan of classic movies, I loved the hats and wardrobe pieces. =)

You can't really see the hat in this picture. It was a green featherish contraption that I had a problem figuring out how it worked. =) Honestly, how women like Audrey, Grace Kelly, and Jackie O wore hats all the time is beyond me. The coat was "vintage" too (I wanted to take it home with me and replace mine with its blasted hood =)


The three of us girls with hats on. First off, I can't believe that I left the price tag hanging down. Second of all, I am not a fan of hats with the netting over them. This one had green dots on the netting to boot, so it looks like I had a case of green chicken pox.

This time, Sara left the price tag in plain site. Sadly, I don't have a picture of Meghan in an outfit. I can't even remember if she tried something on...besides a hat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then on Sunday after church, the three of us girls went to the Galleria Mall. I have determined that that mall is for the upper crust of Pittsburgh's citizens, because I certainly couldn't afford one single blessed thing. (Well, that is not true. I did buy Mom something =)
After a positively wondeful lunch at Panera Bread (my second trip, as I am making up for not having it for six years), we browsed in shops. Meghan and Sara took me into a store called Anthropologie, saying that I would be able to fit into the clothes.
While I have determined that to be so, I have also determined that spending over $130 dollars on a dress isn't something I can do.....unless I might have a very good reason....and I didn't. But that didn't stop me from trying on two dresses....and wishing I could take one of them home with me.
I do not really care for this picture, but at least you can see the color. However, it was a bit on the short side.



I loved this green dress, and I am sorry that the picture is fuzzy. Meghan was shooting into the mirror, that's why. I wanted to take this one home, although it was a tad too low and just a tad too short. I loved the color =)

We girls probably annoyed the sales associates to no end with our "I'm not here to buy, just to try" mentality. But we made memories....and that is the important thing.

5 comments:

Patti said...

Great photos!! I LOVE the dresses. And I am a fan of hats...although as a product of the late (rather than mid) 20th century, hats were NOT a fashion accessory in my day...nor are they now.

Though I guess I could just make my own fashion statement and start wearing a pretty hat. Boy, would I get some stares.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're having fun. But you are definitely missed here at home.

Love,
Mom

Sara said...

That red dress looks lovely on you Ella! And I like Panera Bread too...it's a special treat!

Anna Naomi said...

Thanks for sharing the update and pictures! It is fun to see what you are up to!

Marissa said...

I love shopping too, even though, just like you, I don't always buy something. Looks like you had a great time!
God bless!
-Andrea

Alice said...

Hey, Ella!!! Thanks for posting so many pictures!!! I am thoroughly enjoying keeping up with your trip. Panera Bread is my favorite, and I can't afford any clothes at Anthropologie, either! :) I love love love the dresses on you. Super cute! Your hair looks cute, too! Anyway, have a great rest of your trip, and keep posting!