Friday, August 26, 2011

Fried, Anyone?




It's confession time here. In a day and age where the gluten free diet, the low calorie diet, the sugar free diet, and the no carbohydrates diet seem to reign supreme, this girl doesn't exactly fit the mold. Because one of my weaknesses is fried food.


Fried isn't synonymous with McDonald's for me anymore. If it were, I would probably swear off fried foods forever. (McDonald's leaves a terrible coating in my throat that I only want to deal with on a few, desperate for food, occasions. However, with being in the kitchen and cooking every night, I have gotten to experiment with many different recipes....and ones that involve something fried bring me back to childhood, in a way.


One of my most pronounced childhood memories is that of my Nana making her homemade fried chicken. I remember the crushing of Ritz crackers (It used to be my task), the sizzling of oil, the delectable taste that assaulted my taste buds. I recently made it on my own and I was instantly back at Nana's side. Her recipe is so much better than Kentucky Fried Chicken anyway ;-) I hope I did her proud.


Ever since my dad bought me a Fry Daddy, I have been able to fry even more things. Corn fritters have been tried multiple times, though I am still trying to find a good recipe. I fried cheese tortellini once; it was super, super yummy. I am still trying to master frying French fries (Oven ones are more my speciality at the moment), but I am getting there. And you know one of the best things fried--candy bars!!!


I don't make fried food all that often, because I do try to watch how much fat content I put into my family's diet. ;-) I know that greens are better than grease...but isn't it fun to splurge every now and then? I guess that though I am developing more of a "refined" palate, when it comes to fried goodness, I am still a kid at heart.


Tell me, do you have any weaknesses like that? You know, the ones you know you shouldn't have but you do anyway?

2 comments:

Patti said...

I love your fried chicken!! It's every bit as delicious as Nana's.

And you know me, my food weaknesses are French fries and potato chips. I could care less about sweets...just give me the salt and the fat.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Caught up on your three newest posts!

Mmmm...fried foods! ;) Those are a delicacy only enjoyed once to twice a year for us as you well know--we're Gluten Free. But you haven't had my Grammy's chicken bucket chicken...have to disagree with you once about the best fried chicken. ;)

Ah...What Not to Wear. Love that show! Especially when I see women with curves on it! Wish I could watch it more, but I've also gotten some good tips from it. Just not very much time to shop and put them into practice...

From Prada to Nada looks SO. CUTE!! I need to see it. :)
Love you!!!!