Movie: From Prada to Nada
Starring: Alexa Vega, Camilla Belle, Wilmer Valderrama, Nicholas D'Agosto,
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
*************************************************************
Mary (Alexa Vega) and Nora (Camilla Belle) Dominguez live a very posh life in Beverly Hills. Nora is studying law at a great college; Mary spends her days buying Prada and driving an expensive car. But one day, their world is turned upside down. Daddy dies, the girls discover he was bankrupt, and their house is being bought by an unknown, illegitimate brother and his snooty wife. There is nothing for Mary and Nora to do but move in with their Mexican aunt in EAST Los Angeles.
It is a very different world in the Barrio. Mary fears for her life as she believes every Hispanic guy, including "rough around the edges, heart of gold" neighbor, Bruno (Wilmer Valderrama), is a drug kingpin. Nora has to quit school and go to work in a law office--but it just "happens" to be the same law office where her sister-in-law's brother, Edward, (Nicholas D'Agosto) works. A guy she finds herself very attracted to while Mary is attracted to her teacher's aide, Rodrigo.
Does this story sounds remotely familiar to you?
**************************************************************************************
I am an Austen fan. No, let me rephrase that. I am a MAJOR Austen fan. I was introduced to Jane and her world when I was fifteen and I haven't gone back since. So because I love her so much, anything that even remotely smells like an adaptation of Austen's books, I either read it or watch it. A friend recommended From Prada to Nada to me and I decided to take her word for it.
When I turn off my snobbery (you know, the kind that makes you cringe whenever ANYTHING is different from the book), I can say this movie is very, very cute. It puts a modern spin on Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility" in a way that is quite enjoyable. I came away with loving the same character pairing that I always do....which would Elinor and Edward. Yes, I like Edward in all of the adaptations I watch. (Because in that one with Hugh Grant, you either have him, Alan Rickman, or Greg Wise....not exactly prime pickings ;-) This Edward was positively delightful and Elinor was as well; she wasn't as stoic as she has a tendency to be played. Willoughby's character, Rodrigo, is just as despicable as always. And I do like being able to hate someone in a movie. The other thing I thought was unique: the fact that it has a Mexican twist. Yes, it does get distracting when some characters rattle on in Spanish, but I like how Nora and Mary have to embrace an entirely different culture than what they are used to.
However, because I am an Austen snob (as a friend of mine recently dubbed ourselves), there are a few things that Jane wouldn't have been too thrilled by. Language does exist in the "S" word being used a dozen times or so. Characters get drunk on occasion. There can be quite a bit of cleavage showing, tight hugging outfits. Mary does wind up in bed with Rodrigo. (We see clothes strewn on the floor and then the two of them in bed, sheets strategically placed.....but no scene or after comments, thank goodness). Several things are not explained as well as they should have been...remember the misunderstanding about Edward and Lucy? Yeah, that isn't as addressed as I would have liked it to have been. That was just one of the small issues I had ;-) It is these issues that make wonder if I should have stayed true to the original and not viewed the film.
That being said, there were still many things that made me feel happy. Namely, again, the final scene with Edward and Elinor. I love that one no matter what version of the film I am watching. No, it isn't a perfect, delectable piece of goodness. I more equate it to a lemon bar: mostly sweet with a few sour notes thrown in...but I do love lemon bars....and I did enjoy watching From Prada to Nada in the middle of the night. I guess this young woman really does love all things Jane!











4 comments:
Hey Ella,
This is such a cute movie! I understand where some Austen fans might take issue with it but considering there is a strict time limit, I thought "From Prada to Nada" was great.
You've made me want to re-watch it again now. =D
Oh, it does sound cute...and I love the lemon bar analogy.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ella! I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed this movie, all things considered. It was cute!
Rissi, I agree.....for the time constraints, it wasn't bad at all. I did enjoy it. In fact, I am watching my favorite parts again =)
Mom, maybe you should try it then ;-)
Ruth, I was also surprised. Even though the girl who recommended this to me is practically my twin, I was still unsure....but I did enjoy it
Post a Comment