"It is a common misconception that the Christian's walk of faith is strewn with flowers and that when God intervenes in the lives of His people, He does so in such a wonderful way as to always lift us out of our difficult surroundings. In actual fact, however, the real experience is quite the opposite."As you obviously noticed, my blog sat in a dormant state for quite a long time. I could say that I didn't feel "the spark" anymore...but that is far from true. There were so many times that I wanted to put down my thoughts for all to read, yet there was always a hesitation that prevented me. Thus, I remained quiet.
For the longest time, I thought a Christian young woman needed to have all the right answers, read certain books, watch certain movies...frankly, I had to live in a box of expectations and stereotypes. If I felt "contrary" to that box, I knew I had better not admit it. I had a "standard" to uphold.
Last year was a very rough year for me. I went through a lot of pulling and prying; I had so many questions and very few answers. I had some bouts of what I would call depression and if not for my family, my God, and some close friends, I can honestly say that I have no idea where I would be. I struggled with finding just where I was supposed to be going in life, especially when what I planned on (marriage and a family by age 20) wasn't staring me in the face. But as you can see, I didn't share these thoughts with you all.
It is a common misconception that Christians have an always rosy, always put together life. I don't. I used to be ashamed of that.....but not any more. He revealed to me that I do not have to send a supposed image anymore. I can share when I am struggling with God's presumed silence (notice I said presumed; I know he never is), or when I feel like admitting that I do yell at a bad referee call every now and then. I am not ashamed to say that my life is rough, slightly confusing, totally heading in another direction that I didn't foresee and yet, because the Lord sits on His throne, I can be at peace. Both in knowing that He has the answers and that I can always be myself. He will give me the wisdom and mercy to know how to word what I want to say. Because why am I here if not to point to Him.
So you might get bored with some of the posts I do. You know, how I am finding joy in work situations and struggles in college ones. But that is how I put aside misconceptions.....and my closest, dearest friends know that is something I dearly love to do. =)











5 comments:
Great post, sweetheart!! We don't have to wear a sanctimonious, "I have it all together" mask or fit into a certain type of Christian box. We are not cookie cutter people, and the life God has for each of us will look different than it does on someone else. Just because one of us is going in one direction, it doesn't mean that someone going in the very opposite direction is doing something wrong.
We all need to stop judging others by our own standards, and we need to stop looking down on others who are struggling in their faith. Let's be encouragers instead of discouragers.
I love you!!
Hugs,
Mom
Ella~
I'm thrilled that you are back to blogging! You have encouraged me in so many ways, this post being one of them...
Being judge-mental is something that I've always struggled with, but in the past year the Lord has been leading me out of that horrible pit (Praise Him!). I'm learning to truly love people...I have learned that I don't need to agree with everyone 100%, but I DO need to appreciate them for who they are in Christ, love them as they are for we are each on a journey - none of us are better than the other.
No matter where we are at in our journeys, GOD is working through our lives in tremendous ways...each of our lives are so completely unique, different and amazing!
The Lord has made amazing plans for each of us and it is wonderful that as Christians we can all have different convictions than each other...and still be loved by our awesome God and one another.
Goodbye to judging & cookie cutter people...let's say hello to truly loving as Christ does.
Blessings, Ella!!
You are so right it IS common for people to assume that, as Christians their life will then be "rosey." Umm... no that is not how it works.
Great post, Ella.
Life never does work out exactly as we planned, does it? I was talking about this with my dad yesterday and he said, "Never assume that your life will remain as it has always been. It can change in an instant."
Christians don't have to fit in a box. Most of us wouldn't anyway, even if we tried. God made us unique for a reason. Embrace and celebrate it. =)
Mom, I want to give you a special thank you for being such a support as I really figure out just how Christ wants me to live. I love you!
Jenna, first off, nice to see you! And I am so glad that the Lord is teaching you about being judgmental. That is something that God really has strived to strip from me, and I am so thankful for that.....as there is much more freedom and grace.
Rissi, I know....and it gets my goat every single time. No, the Christian life isn't rosy.....but it is just one of the many of the stereotypes.
Charity, hey, thanks for popping by ;-) Nope, my life totally hasn't worked out like I planned....and I am trying to remember that that is okay. =D
Post a Comment