Monday, August 08, 2011

You Were Born for This--A Book Review






Have you ever read a book that makes you analyze how you are living your life? Or perhaps the better question might be....did you do anything about it? You were Born For This has fast become a book that I will leave on my bookshelf, and return to time and again, for it was a book that challenged and motivated me to act upon the Lord's leading in my life.

We might hope and dream for a miracle, but author Bruce Wilkinson's point is this: the Lord often uses ordinary people as a way of doing extraordinary things. In fact, we were put on this earth for such a reason. Christ wants us to live every minute of every day in a state of expectancy, trusting Him to bring the person He wants us to bless into our path. And chances are, someone will walk into our lives in search of a miracle. While we might not have ours, we have the opportunity to be "Jesus with skin on" to someone more in need.

The book offers practical tips on how to achieve a changed mindset, because after all, it isn't in our nature to place other's needs before our own. The real life stories included make You Were Born for This come alive and leave you wondering if one day, that could be YOU and another person.

I have a fire lit under me. Since I have been granted life, I want to use it to my maximum potential...and glorify God to the fullest. If it requires stepping out of my comfort zone and into faith, looking at others through Christ's eyes, doing what I am asked even if others think I am the biggest psycho....then I guess I am game. Because, to use a quote from the book (and trust me, I wrote done twenty pages worth, so that gives you some idea who good this read was), "whatever our human limitations, when we know how to partner with Heaven, we will see that we were born to accomplish by supernatural means what God wants done."

WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group provided this book to me for free in exchange for this honest review as part of their Blogging for Books program.

2 comments:

Patti said...

Ooh, this books sounds fabulous. I had been looking at it myself, but I didn't end up getting it. I'm glad you got it...now I can read it.

Thanks for a great review. You have definitely made me want to read this one.

Anonymous said...

Great Review, Gabrielle! This really was a great book (one that I read all too quickly and did NOT put enough thought into.) I will def have to read it again!

Blessings!