Thursday, September 15, 2011

Jane Eyre (2011)--A Movie Review




Movie: Jane Eyre (2011)

Starring: Matthew Fassbender, Mia Wasikowska, Judy Dench, Jamie Bell,

Rated: PG-13

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Undoubtedly the storyline of Charlotte Bronte's most famous work is known to y'all. It is the story of a young woman, Jane Eyre, (Mia Wasikowska) who has had a rough life. Unloved by her aunt and cousins, sent to Lowood School, the death of her best friend, and the vilification that was aimed at her by others....you name it, Jane has gone through it. But life changes when she accepts a position as governess at Thornfield Hall....and into the presence of Edward Rochester (Michael Fassbender).


The two immediately have a "interesting" relationship. There is much serious banter and conversation between Rochester and Jane. The housekeeper, Mrs. Fairfax (Judy Dench), warns Jane that Rochester is a complex man with many secrets. That is an understatement. There is so much more to every character than meets the eye.


************************************************************************************


So, I finally got around to watching this adaptation; I am so glad that I did! Friend after friend has raved about Jane Eyre to me, but it is something one has to see for themselves...if they want to give their honest opinion on it. Instead of doing reviews like I usually do, I am going to give you MY take on things (and I sure love to do that ;-) and then, those who have seen it can share their thoughts with me.


First things first, for the film being in a two hour time slot, it did a pretty decent job sticking to the book. That is something that gets my goat, when movies leave big chunks of the book out. The two previous adaptations I had watched (Orson Welles and Cirian Hinds versions), they always leave out the part when Jane leaves Thornfield Hall and winds up at her distant cousin's house. I like that section, so I am glad to see its inclusion. Was it entirely accurate? No. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. I got scenes at Lowood School and when she left Rochester upon her startling discovery. I haven't gotten that before.


The casting leaves me with nothing to complain about. I really liked Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester. I thought he did a tremendous job conveying the many facets of Bronte's hero. He was moody when he needed to be, dark and depressed when he needed to be, and on those rare occasions, happy when he needed to be. Mia Wasikowska is someone I see as one of Hollywood's up and coming actresses. She also did an incredible job as Jane Eyre. She was just the right age and had the depth of feeling that the literary heroine does. (Jane Eyre is one of my favorite literary characters, so I do get picky when it comes to her portrayal.) The two of them as a couple worked.....I would be lying if I said I loved it from the start. You see. May/December romances tend to repulse me the tiniest bit. But I had to remember that the age difference was something that existed between Jane and Rochester into the books. None of the other adaptations had visible age differences, so I did appreciate having it here.


The filming itself was superb. Jane Eyre has a little, dark, gothicness to it and this was presented. Believe it or not, I liked it. The exterior shots were so beautiful. I really want to go to Derbyshire, where this was filmed. (I have ever since my first reading of Pride and Prejudice.) But the thing that I loved best was the music. Dario Marianelli composed the musical score; he is known, among others, for the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. The string instruments were more highlighted this go around, as opposed to the piano, and it was lovely. Haunting at the right parts, romantic at times...I could go listen to it again.


Why in the world this is rated PG-13 is beyond me. There is one lingering moment of a nude painting--top--but that's it. I don't think the content merited the rating to be honest with you. Because that rating could turn some people away...and I do not think that is fair. I think the movie is a beautiful piece of viewing. It is definitely at the top of my Jane Eyre Adaptation list, though I know I have a few more to watch ;-) More importantly, I think it did Miss Bronte proud. It certainly did meet my expectations.

3 comments:

Livia Rachelle said...

I want to see several more of the versions-the only one I've seen is the Ciaran Hinds version. This version does have her at her cousins house although very briefly and with a laughably diametrically opposite to the book St.John (although I love the actor in the newest Persuasion. Also this version DID show a serious age difference. I cannot compare with other version, but the speed this version whipped through the book left me rather breathless. Also, I think his first wife should have been really, REALLY scary from the description in the book, but she was rather lamely done in this version. Oh, I really need to see the other versions. There were two more besides the one you reviewed that I wanted to see; I think one was in maybe 2003 and like 3 hours long and I know another is 5 hours long. The reviewer of the most recent version on pluggedinonline.com said that there have been over twenty T.V. and movie adaptions of Jane Eyre total! I wonder why there are so many; I cannot think of any other book of a female writer of this sort of time period that has had half so many adaptations. Sorry for so long a post and love your blog-its one of my favs!

Rissi said...

I am SO glad you were finally able to see this, Ella! It is interesting to chat with those who have read the book since I have not. This adaptation really surpassed my expectations because I generally haven't liked Mia in the roles I've seen her in - needless to say, I wasn't expecting much from her.

It's nice to hear it is somewhat simimar to it's source. Production wise, I thought it was beautiful, and overall, I liked the leads together. It is certainlly MUCH better than the Ciaran Hinds version. Anyway, I am actually wanting to watch it again... unfortunately, my aunt has my copy - and who knows HOW long she'll have it. =D

Charity said...

I'm starting to wonder what it is about me that this movie just doesn't impress. Most people love it. I think it's decent, but a distant second to the miniseries. I think Mia is stiff and bland except in the library scene when she fights off Edward. I think she and Michael have zero chemistry between them. It just doesn't work for me, and I seem to be one of maybe five people that feel that way. =P