Monday, September 26, 2011

Revenge is HIS

Network TV is trying to get viewers to tune into new programming. You know, every spoiler blog site seems to have sidebar advertisements and hit shows air commercial after commercial? Because my list of shows is long and numerous, I have been hesitant to add a new one to my list...but one did seem to catch my eye...and several people mentioned how good it was.

ABC's Revenge is the story of Emily Thorne, a new arrival into The Hamptons. She lived there once before; it was as a young child with her father. But for some mysterious reason, her father was arrested and Emily's life was turned upside down. Or let me put it this way, Amanda Clarke's life was turned upside down...Emily has reinvented her life. Her sole mission in life is to exact revenge on all of those who put her father unjustly in prison.

Emily is willing to go to any lengths to do it. In the pilot episode, we see her subtlety giving hints that a couple is having an affair, knowing that the woman scorned will then destroy the "other woman." We see Emily furtively slipping some vial into a bowl of soup...someone is shot (though I have no idea if she did that) Let's just say that Emily has a lot of problems.

It might sound odd to say that I enjoyed the first episode, but I did. It is supposedly loosely based on The Count of Monte Cristo and it also has that whole crime/mystery vibe that I seem to love. The characters, each and every one of them, is flawed and complex--reminds me of myself ;-) But I do have one BIG issue with the series: revenge being justified.

As a Christian, that is a concept that I cannot endorse. We grow up with the Scripture "vengeance is mine, says the Lord." Mom and Dad tell us "to treat others the way we want to be treated." Revenge and taking a situation into our own hands doesn't do much good......and honestly, it does not bring lasting happiness.

I can understand why the character of Amanda/Emily is doing these actions. When you are wounded and something near to you is taken away, you feel bitter and cynical. You want nothing more than to get it back. Trust me, I have had a few moments where I have been devastated by friends or people who have caused some bad memories in life....could it have ever been taken so far as to make their lives utterly miserable? Perhaps. But I didn't.

Revenge is a 2011 TV show. If it were something from my well loved 1940's, I could predict the outcome--Emily would get her comeuppance. I can't say what is going to happen here and I am intrigued to find out. Between you and me, I am hoping that Emily's sins, and in fact everyone's sins, will indeed find them out. Revenge isn't man's job--Christ will do a better job on Judgment Day.

4 comments:

Rissi said...

Oh! How fun that you watched this. I was really interested in it, but will await the DVD set.

I totally agree with you, Ella that God says revenge is His (even if I didn't, I'd be wrong, because it's Truth), but I can also recognize that this is mere entertainment and nothing more. For me, it won't affect my convictions, for others, it might. Just for the entertainment value, I expect to enjoy this. =) Fun post!

Unknown said...

I have got to admit, the whole concept of this show really bugged me, all based on the very reasons you mention. But that said I was quite intrigued to read your thoughts! I love The Count of Monte Cristo - but I think the reason I don't have an issue with say that book and I do with this show is because I lack the confidence that the main character will learn that revenge is the route to go (no matter how "understandable"). It'd be a different story if this was a film from the 1940s, as you say! Great thoughts, thanks for sharing!

Patti said...

It does sound like an interesting show...another one to add to your already long list!!

Even those who don't follow Christianity will tell people that harboring bitter (revenge-seeking) thoughts is bad for one's health. Doctors have long-known that negative feelings contribute to sickness, and living one's life for the sole purpose of getting revenge on someone, to me, is going to fill that person with negative thoughts. I would like to see the show dwell on some of the negative mental/physical aspects of Emily's vendetta.

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

Rissi, if you couldn't tell, I don't have the patience to wait for the DVD--so BRAVO to you!! Like you, my personal morals won't make me hate the show. I actually want to see what happens to the characters.

Ruth, I sense your hesitation. I don't like not knowing what will happen to the main character. And that is a sad fact. You know, society makes me really sad =(

MOm, they haven't hit on that emotional/physical side effects of Emily yet....but since it was the first episode, we shall see.