
Movie: Loving Leah
Starring: Lauren Ambrose, Adam Kaufman
Rated: NR
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Jake Lever (Adam Kaufman) was a successful cardiologist in Washington D.C. He had a great girlfriend, Carol, and was liked by many. However, he was estranged from his brother, Benjamin. Benjamin had left the family to become an Orthodox Jewish rabbi and Jake had no idea how to deal with it. While Jake wanted to try and make up with Benjamin, he was no given the chance. Benjamin died suddenly and Jake found himself heading to Brooklyn for his funeral.
At the funeral, he meets Leah (Lauren Ambrose), his sister-in-law. The two of them are in for a surprise when Leah and Jake have two options. Because Leah and Benjamin did not have any children, Jake has to do duty by his brother and marry his sister-in-law so as to carry on the family name. Or, if he decides not to do that, he has to disown his brother's very existence. While Jake opts for the latter initially, he cannot follow through with that....so he proposes a platonic marriage of convenience with Leah. Because she wants to get from her family and develop a new life for herself, college and all, she accepts.
It all begins like Jake and Leah set it out to be. Jake continues working at the hospital, trying to make his girlfriend understand what he did, barely coming around. Leah is studying for the SAT, finding a Temple to worhsip at, making challahs...yet living in the same house has a way of bringing out your feelings for the other person. As you might imagine, Jake and Leah begin to fall in love. Whereas Leah was first set up with Benjamin, this is a "marriage" based on love...but Jake has an underlying feeling of guilt. Is he dishonoring his brother by being married to his wife?
********************************************************************
I have discovered that Hallmark Hall of Fame movies are much less cheesy than the ones that air on Hallmark Channel. There is a depth to them that the others lack. While they are predictable and happy, there is some drama involved in getting to the conclusion. Loving Leah is a story of two different cultures, expectations, questions...I like those things being in movies.
Because I do not know much about certain branches of Jewish theology, I don't know if anyone does indeed marry their brother's widow anymore...or if that was something to be found in the Bible. But I do know that the Sabbat, the Hebrew phrases, the mezuzah, those are all entirely accurate. I found the Jewish culture quite fascinating really.
The other thing I loved was that there was no content. Jake never treats Leah wrongly; the two have a very sweet relationship. I think the leads played well off of each other and did a good job acting their roles out. You see, there is nothing I can pick apart in this movie. It is clean, wholesome, family viewing.
Though I do love things that have a few kinks, it is great to see that Hallmark Hall of Fame is still going strong.











5 comments:
This looks SO GOOD! I'm looking it up in our library system now! Love ya!
With your comment, you inspired me to look up my review of this and "polish" it (one of these days, I'll post it). Also, you've made me REALLY want to re-watch this. I thought it was - and is - one of Hallmark's sweetest movies yet.
Since I don't have Halllmark Channel, I must rely on the DVD's being released, and will confess I've found a gem in a number of them - no matter how sappy they are. =D
So glad you posted this Ella! "Loving Leah" is such a wonderful little story.
Hey, Ella! I forgot to ask you if you'd mind if I could sometimes link to your blog? It'd probably be some of the reviews you've posted... I meant to ask you with my last comment, and obviously didn't - sorry!!
If you'd rather I not, that's fine - I would understand. =)
Oh this movie is so sweet - one of my favorite Hallmark Hall of Fame flicks! :)
O I love this movie too! So so so good. An instant fav for me.
Post a Comment