Friday, October 21, 2011

A Whiff From the Past

Scents have a way of unlocking memories. The smell of lilacs reminds me of my Nana. We lived in Florida at the time, my aunt was visiting from New Hampshire, and had flown down with some lilacs just for Nana. This was my first experience with those glorious spring flowers; it wasn't until we moved to Idaho that I got to pick bouquets for myself.

Then there is the smell of beer and cow manure. I know, I know, those are not the greatest smells, but they remind me of vacations in Montana. My grandma and grandpa used to raise cows (I really remember Robbie, Chip, and Ernie. ;-D) and Grandpa always loved a beer at dinner. I cannot stand beer; I only manage an occasional sip when I have to cook with it....but it still reminds me of the past.

Today, while making dinner, I was transported back to Deland, Florida, and one of my favorite dishes ever--chicken velvet soup. I remember this restaurants, "Cook's Cafe," that I loved to go to...usually we would go there after a trip to the library and a trip to the bakery for a millet cookies (and I hated those =P). However, I always wanted to enter the restaurant through the side entrance, because of this little old lady who scared me.

She was a Jehovah's Witness, complete with her pamphlets and all. She would make these jokes about stealing me, since I seemed so sweet....it scared the living daylights out of me!! She seemed like the wicked witch and I was always glad to get away from her. Because that also meant I got to go into the restaurant.

Chicken velvet soup was everything you could hope for in a dish. It was thick, creamy and smooth, it was robust with the flavor. With the love I have for cooking, I hope to recreate the actual soup one of these days...but until that day, I can always count on tarragon to take me back to those bygone days...and of a spoonful of goodness I can still taste.

What are the whiffs that you have?

2 comments:

Patti said...

Oh, chicken velvet soup is SO delicious, and you, my dear, came quite close to that flavor with tonight's dinner. You are a fabulous cook, and I know you'll come up with a way to duplicate that recipe.

Certain smells take me back to times of yesteryear too. White vinegar reminds me of dying Easter eggs, chrysanthemums remind me of Uncle George's and PupPup's funeral, patchouli reminds me of a horrid old boyfriend.

I think it's neat that our sense of smell can transport us down memory lane just as readily as a visual reminder can.

I love you!!

Rissi said...

Yummy! My family makes this really spicy, delicious chicken soup with noddles. Every time we make it, I thinks it's my favorite soup, but then we make a different one, and my opinion changes. =D