Monday, June 17, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)


Title: Star Trek: Into Darkness
Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Alice Eve, Zoe Saldana, Benedict Cumberpatch
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

***********************

I'll just say it. My mind was BLOWN! I knew nothing about Star Trek. I mean, I knew Captain Kirk and Spock....and that thing that Spock does with his hand. But that's it; in fact, I owe Big Bang Theory a huge debt of gratitude for helping me know about this to some degree. So then why did I go see Into Darkness? Well, I'll admit it. Chris Pine's gorgeous blue eyes beckoned me....and Cumberpatch....well, we will get to him ;-)

I first saw Into Darkness, then I watched the 2009 film....then back to the theater again. I am not a trekkie by any means, but I am definitely a fan. Instead of writing a review like I usually do, I thought I would highlight my favorite things about the movie.
**************************

Everything starts and ends with BENEDICT AWESOMESAUCE CUMBERPATCH! Now, my love of him starts with Sherlock. I will not watch any adaptation except the one in which he stars. So when I heard that he was the villain in the film, I was skeptical. After all, he's SHERLOCK! Well, I will say that Benedict can play any roll handed to him and man, he plays a pretty good bad guy. From the first time he speaks (in which I inwardly fangirl over his suave looks and British accent) to the end, you can't help but stay riveted when Benedict takes the stage. I knew nothing about the character he played....and you know what, I don't think that was a bad thing. I didn't have anything with which to compare his performance. Benedict's Khan has many layers to him, layers I am still dissecting after two viewings of Into Darkness, and I love performances like that.

Sidebar here--I love that even though Benedict is becoming quite famous (starring in blockbusters like this one and in "The Hobbit Trilogy), he still remains true to his roots...both as an Englishman and as Sherlock. He is keeping what made him famous. I wish I could say that about someone near and dear to my TV viewing heart. Dan Stevens, I am looking at you!


The other thing that was my favorite was the friendship between Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachary Quinto). After I watched the 2009 film, I even more appreciated their relationship. I mean, how they met was both comical and aggravating. Throughout Into Darkness, we see the drastic personality differences between Spock and Kirk and yet, for some reason, it doesn't seem to matter. I believe that it was necessary component and recipe to their success. Kirk is the more "wild child, devil may care, break the rules and be dictated by emotion" type of guy. Spock is the epitome of "by the book" and being half Vulcan, he tends to keep his emotions and feelings more inside. For yes, he does feel them (as evidenced by an awesome scene where Kirk and Uhura [played by Zoe Saldana] call Spock on the carpet about his lack of emotion.)

You want to know a secret? There is a scene near the end of the film where I cried. And when I saw it again, I cried in the same scene. It was a poignant moment where roles were reverses. Spock was the one with feelings and emotions and Kirk wanted to know the secret to keeping them inside. True friends, relationships where iron sharpens iron, have such occurrences like these. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto do great acting in this scene; I would watch it over and over again.

*************************************************

After I read an awesome post by my friend Charity, I noticed just how much religious symbolism this movie was in possession of. Seriously, read it for yourself here......I continue to love stories where evil is vanquished and good triumphs. I love that quote about how "some are born great and others have greatness thrust upon them." I could not find anything more accurate than that. Captain Kirk is nothing special--in fact, Spock is definitely more capable of being captain of a Starfleet vessel--but he is put in charge and destined to do great things--because someone believed in him. Sound familiar? How about with what Christ does with us?

I'm trying to find something negative to say about the movie and I can't. I think it was an all around outstanding movie. If you have seen it, talk to me. Tell me what you think!

And if you haven't seen it....GO! NOW!

Ella

3 comments:

Charity said...

Favorite movie of 2013 for me -- so far, The Hobbit Part II might knock it down a peg. But yeah, it's very good!

Benedict is terrific (I'd seen him in other things, prior to Sherlock fame, and he's always wonderful, so I figured he could pull off Khan well!) I'd never found him attractive before this film (and probably still won't, but as Khan -- delicious).

Spock and Kirk are always wonderful -- in the originals and in the new movies. Love their dynamic. That scene where Kirk says he'll miss Spock and Spock just stares at him blankly made me laugh -- I have SO been in Spock's shoes before.

Great film. I already have it preordered on Blu Ray.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

(Spock is half Vulcan, not Klingon.)

Great review! I love how these new movies are bringing new fans to Star Trek, while still satisfying many fans of the original series.

Also, I will now always insert "awesomesauce" into BC's name. Perfect.

Rissi said...

Aw, good golly! I don't live around anyone who likes this series - hence I settle for the DVD's. ;)

So glad 'Into Darkness' is getting rave reviews from all the people whose opinions I trust and respect. Anxious to see this when it comes out.

Watching the 2009 movie this past winter revealed some things: 1.) I wasn't all that fond of Zoe's character (do not know why!) 2.) the humor was spectacular 3.) the Spock/Kirk/Bones relationships were FANTASTIC.

Glad you enjoyed both 'Trek' movies, Ella.