Wednesday, August 28, 2013

In the Words of Michael Scott....

I hate goodbyes. I always have. I cannot do them in ANY movie that I watch. Trust me, ask my family who watched me bawl, at age 14, during a Sesame Street movie in which Big Bird leaves. (But don't ask me why I was watching it when I was that old. I don't have the foggiest idea.)

Ever since I was little, I have been saying goodbye. Moving across the country and leaving grandparents and friends. Moving once again....and then moving back. Visiting long distance friends, having an amazing visit, and then having to leave without them. All of it requires saying "goodbye." Because, honestly, who knows when we will see them again?!

This past week, I found out that someone very dear to me will be moving across the country. And though I know she will be back to visit, considering her kids and grandchildren are here, I also know that things will not be the same. I won't see her smiling face on Sundays. I won't get her big hugs and her encouraging "you can take charge, just trust yourself" glances. I prayed for God's will for her, which is why I know her moving is the best and right thing....but that doesn't make it easy.

The Broadway musical, Wicked!, has a song with lyrics that go something like this:
I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led to those who help us most to grow
If we let them and we help them in return
Well I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today because I knew you.....

It well may be that we'll never meet again
In this lifetime so let me say before we part
So much of me is made from what I've learned from you
You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend.......

I love this song. It's so true for me. There was a time when I was afraid to let people into my life. I had been bruised one too many times, been let down by one too many people. But the Lord reminded me that that was no way to live. He wanted me to allow myself to have a story be rewritten. He wanted me to have good friends who would leave handprints and footprints on my heart. Sometimes, yes, they have still been bad ones, but they are still there. 

If I allow myself to not feel, I would be losing a big part of myself. Which is why, as much as these tears stink, as much as I dread giving my friend that final hug, I still am thankful. I'm thankful to the Lord for helping me move past pain, past fear, and into a happier, richer, fuller place.

However, I do look forward to the day when we won't have to say goodbye anymore. Jokingly, I will be THRILLED to not have mascara run down my face so much so that I look like a raccoon. Instead of goodbyes, only hugs and hellos will be said. It'll be happy. So in order to get to that point, I know I must go through pain--and I'm trying to be okay with it.

Who are those people in your life that you will be glad not to say goodbye to anymore? What impact have they left on your life? If you would like, please share!
Ella

3 comments:

Rissi said...

Precious post, Ella. <3

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

Aww, you sound like you need a hug, so I am sending you a cyber hug.

I sympathize with the pain of saying goodbye. I passionately DETEST and HATE saying it.

I love that song from Wicked!!

I wish I didn't have to say goodbye to a few friends. I only see them rarely and honestly, I wish we all lived fairly close.

Charity said...

(( hugs ))