
I'm a writer.
It is why I am going for an English major. It is something I do that calms me down and yet gets me going at the same time.
Well, my dear sister, Meghan, has begun a blog entitled "Every Good Word" (Hence the button)....and today, she was doing a link up with EVERYTHING involving your personal writing style. I thought, "what the heck? It'll be fun."
So now, you get to know more about me in a side I don't usually reveal. Without further ado, here we go....
*********
1.) What was your first ever piece of writing? It was in kindergarten and I wrote a story. No idea what it was about. But I do remember my teacher thought it was the best in my class, so I got to "represent" at a lunch time with a visiting author named Phil Cisneros. I also remember he wrote a book called "Gabriela Gecko" which thrilled me; it was so close to my name.
2.) How old were you when you first began writing? I feel like I have been writing my entire life. I did it in kindergarten. I wrote a story for an assignment in third grade. I typed up stories on Microsoft Word. Like I said, it is a part of me.
3.) Name two writing goals--one short term and one long term. Honestly, my short term goal is to make it through college writing classes. Do you know how time consuming they feel sometimes when you also have to work, do other studies, and have to travel to weddings in the same period of time?! However, my long term writing goal involves writing a variety of books/articles that get published, both in my hoped for career field (food columns) and my pleasure (my nonfiction book idea.)
4.) Do you write fiction or nonfiction? Sigh. I want to write fiction. However, the Lord has made it ABUNDANTLY clear to me that nonfiction is more of my preferred choice, where I'm supposed to put my efforts. I write that primarily now, between my blog, my book review blog, and my column for Femnista Magazine....in addition to other things.
5.) Bouncing off of question 4, what is your favorite genre to write in? Nonfiction doesn't completely answer the question; it is too broad. In it, I like writing things primarily for young women. If I dabble in fiction, I like writing Christian contemporary fiction (think along the lines of Karen Kingsbury.)
6.) What is one writing lesson you have learned since 2013 began? My latest lesson in my "Writing Creative Nonfiction" class (see, it's fitting, isn't it?) gave me a lot of food for thought. In nonfiction writing, what role does "invention" play in it? Is it right? Or is it a problem?.....you answer.....I have my own opinion on it. ;-)\
7.) Favorite author off the top of your head! Oh boy. Jane Austen and Karen Kingsbury. Closely behind are Katie Ganshert, Irene Hannon, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Louisa May Alcott. (I managed to NOT answer the question. LOL)
8.) Three current favorite books. Alright. I'll go with current. "I, Claudia", by Charity Bishop....."The One and Only Ivan," by Katherine Applegate...and a three way tie between "The Great Gatsby," by F. Scott Fitzgerald, "I'm No Angel," by Kylie Bisutti.....and "45 Pounds (More or Less)", by K.A. Barson.
I know I didn't answer the question....who cares ;-)
9.) Biggest influence on your writing (person.): Hmm.....you see, because I write nonfiction, the things I have gone through in life, the things God is teaching me....those are my driving influences. However, my mom is the biggest champion I have. She has always supported me. And frankly, I got my skill from her. She passed on her love of writing to me at a young age and via homeschooling. I'm thankful for it.
10.) What's your go-to writing music? I put on a TV show. Seriously. I do. But I also love writing to Carrie Underwood, country music, soundtracks, and Christian songs. Also known as everything on my iPod.
11.) List three to five writing quirks--the habits, must haves as you write, etc. I have to have noise on. It drives me INSANE to study/write in the quiet. I also write best in the afternoon and late evening hours. I have to always have a bottle of water beside me or else I will get too dehydrated. Food wise, I like to dibble on something, usually tortilla chips. And I do not write with an outline to save my life. It drives me up the wall.
12.) What, in three sentences or less, does your writing mean to you? My writing is my way of expression. Of showing who I am and who God has made me to me. I have stories to share and if I could not, I would die inside.
************
So.....did you learn anything about me? If you feel so inclined, I would love to hear your own responses. =)











2 comments:
Since all I do lately are personality typing, it made me laugh a little bit to see how apparent your type is in your answers. Outlines? BE GONE! Silence? BE GONE! I have to choose JUST ONE favorite?!
You're a darling. You know that, right? ;)
=D Thanks for doing this tag, sister!!! Though I knew most/all of it, I loved reading it as I do *ALL* {including your fiction} of your writing! <3
Post a Comment