Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Shock Factor


Last night's MTV's Video Music Awards had many water cooler moments. It also filled up Facebook and Twitter feeds....at least it did mine. I didn't even watch the show, but I knew enough of what went on to talk with people about it.

The N*Sync reunion (Yes, I watched it on Youtube. Come on, I'm a '90s girl who had friends OBSESSED with this group)
Lady Gaga and Katy Perry debuting their new singles entitled, respectively, "Applause" and "Roar." (Which are stupid names, by the way)
Taylor Swift dissing Harry Styles (but then again, I wouldn't expect anything less from her.)

And then....in a class by herself....there was Miley Cyrus. Her performance involving foam fingers, large teddy bears, raunchy clothing, and plenty of twerking and tongue wagging. A performance that left a lot of people dismayed, repulsed, and at a loss for words.

It is a fact universally acknowledged that this nation is morally bankrupt. One only has to see tabloid headlines to be aware of that fact. In so many ways we are like Sodom and Gomorrah, it leaves me amazed that God hasn't destroyed us yet. We deserve it, there is no denying that.

Our sex crazed society thrives on shocking people. It's why sex scenes sell at the box office. It's why the Victoria Secret Fashion show garners huge numbers. The shock factor is something people seem to like. Tuning in to see how far certain things will go before they are repulsed.

Which is why the VMA's have left me happy about one thing. People were repulsed by Miley's performance. This picture of Will Smith and his family seems to say it all, but his reaction is not alone. So many famous actors and actresses and singers took to Twitter. Brooke Shields, who played Miley Cyrus's mom on Hannah Montana, thought it screamed of desperation. I am yet to hear one positive word about her "song and dance" number. Even those hardcore fans of MTV and the Video Music Awards say this was taking things too far.

At age twenty, Miley is doing all she can to break away from her good girl, Hannah Montana, image. Which is bothering people. It shows that deep down, we as a nation value innocence. Shock and awe isn't all that we crave; we crave sweetness and decency. So it warms my heart that there is an outcry. I think when we arrive at the day of not caring (of enjoying a twenty year old gyrating around in a nude bra and underwear), that is when we become Modern Sodom and Gomorrah. When we will be destroyed.

My heart breaks for Miley and for the girls that look up to her. (Thankfully, I do not think it is as much as when she was a Disney Channel star) I feel sad that she seems to delight in doing such behavior, that her parents didn't train her with different values.......but like with everything, there are lessons to be learned. We can learn that certain actions make us still feel dirty. 

I'm thankful for that feeling. It reminds me of God's saving grace needed to wash us whole. It reminds me that there is a moral compass and conscience that is still alive and well, even when it does feel as if it is barely ticking.

Little things are better than none at all. It does not make the situation right--but proves that things can be so much worse. So I'm thankful for repulsion today....as crazy as that sounds. What about you?
Ella

5 comments:

Rissi said...

Wonderful post and reminder, Ella. Thank you!

You know, I didn't watch this show either - never do, however when I heard conservative radio hosts rant about it, I knew it had to be bad so I did look at a couple news stories and yeah... it was bad. It's awful to think girls look up to Miley as an "idol" and to think that Miley is doing all of this to herself is a tragedy - particularly since all it really is a form of rebellion to shed her "good girl" skin. Between her, Lindsay Lohan and now, Amanda Bynes, there is something very wrong with the "idols" of today's society.

I laughed out loud when seeing that pic of the Smith family - ha! My reaction would have been the same although I wouldn't have stayed! Funny thing is, I heard that this was their reaction to Miley's performance but then also that it was actually a photo of their face during Lady Gaga's performance...? (Gaga might as well not have had anything on. *shudder*) Not sure which - either way, it's accurate!

Patti said...

Well since I changed my search engine from Yahoo to Google and use Outlook instead of msn to get my email, I don't see these kinds of headlines, and I don't miss them at all.

I'm glad to know that people were turned off by what sounds like a lewd performance.

Alexandra said...

People really need to learn a lesson from the decades of teen stars who crashed and burned. Kids like Miley and Justin Beiber are proof that kids are too young to handle the kind of fame and notoriety they have. They just literally cannot handle it. I think it is so sad...but like you said, it is refreshing to see that all is not lost when people universally are shocked by her performance.

Anita said...

I didn't watch but I saw enough commented about it all I can say to the Will Smith family and the rest...bravo for being shocked and very displeased with her performance. What little I saw via news was enough for me and when the fella she was singing with own mother was not please, you know it's bad.

Charity said...

Sadly, I am not surprised. Miley has been a total train wreck the last few years and known more for her outrageous behavior than any musical talent she might have once had. But it DOES surprise me (in a good way) that there's such a huge outcry about it, because it shows our nation isn't as totally morally depraved as I thought.