We all have experienced it at least once; for me, it is twice now. I have an appointment to keep, yet when it’s over, I wish nothing more than to have skipped the whole thing. I feel like putting a bag on my head. That’s right…it’s called a bad hair cut.
Right now, I am living with mine…and I only got it cut Saturday. You see, I wear my hair in a style. I will admit it, I do not care for the stick straight hair that the Lord blessed me with. So, I get it to flip up, with a little help from a curling iron. Usually, I love it, and I can go about 5 months without worrying about it. Well, I will just say that that didn’t happen this time. My hair is about 4 inches shorter than I want it (!!!) and it will not hold the curl like it’s supposed to! Over the past two days, I have joked that my hair appointment was like the scene in Roman Holiday. (Audrey Hepburn is getting her hair cut....yet her hair dresser wackes it off in quick motions as he says, "Off!")
I do not believe I am a vain person. I mean, I love it when my hair works out, but that is as far as it goes. However, whatever semblance of vanity I did have is currently gone at the moment. I used to look at my reflection a lot (I have ever since I was little) but now, I can't stand to even get a glimpse of my shadow. With my hair looking a shorn sheep (I am not kidding) I realize all the more that beauty comes from inside a person. Just like with make-up, you can’t get your hair to disguise who you are inside. In times like these, we need our interior to shine forth and say to people, “I know my hair looks terrible, which in turn makes me look terrible. However, there is more to me than that. I know actresses always seem to look pretty with their hair in place. Just remember…they were at a photo shot or some gala party when that picture was taken; of course they want to look their best when they are in the public eye. We have no idea what they look like the rest of the time.”
Now, I do not know how I can handle my hair until it grows out a few inches. And believe it or not, I will still get my hair “styled” every few months...I think! =) (I won’t go back to that hair dresser I am sure of THAT.) Yet I will not say that I haven’t learned something through this hair fiasco. I realize that there is more to beauty than have “the best hair.” Once more, it is the interior beauty of a person’s life that matters!
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











16 comments:
Boy, can I relate!! And you have been living with me for nearly 18 years now, so you know that I can relate!! You have stick straight hair...I have that curly, does-whatever-it-wants hair, and I have been fighting it for over half of my life!! So, as if that's not bad enough...throw in a bad hair cut, and it's ten times worse. Which is what I'm living with now too.
We both need to remember that our outer beauty is not what counts. It's what is inside. And, believe me, when we whine and carry on and say how much we hate our hair, what is on the inside isn't very pretty, is it? Oh, may we graciously await the growth of our hair.
You are right, Mom. When we complain, our inside isn't that pretty. I am thankful that I do not have curly hair...and that I have hair period!!
But, how come you didn't post a picture of your haircut? ;-)
I added my own hair story under yours on the ModesTeen blog. I hope you don't mind?
ELLA!! Oh, how I've missed your encouraging blog. I haven't read this post and the others yet, but I had to respond to the comments you left on my blog. First of all, thank you SOO much for visiting my blog more often, and for commenting more! I love reading your comments and am so strengthened by your encouragement. I'm so very very sorry if I ever did anything at all to make you think that I was mad at you! I could never be mad at you-you're such a dear friend. To be honest, I had though that I had already answered those e-mails you referred to! I'm so sorry that I was mistaken, and that I hadn't responded. In response to what you mentioned about me not being on your blog in awhile, is simply because we were swamped with holiday preperations, family visiting, and then we've been busy trying to get back into the swing of things with school ,etc. I've missed your blog so much!
I have to go now, but I wanted to reassure you that I'm not mad at you!! You've never said anything to anger or sadden me-you've been such a dear likeminded friend. I will definitely be responding to those e-mails asap, and I will come back to read these posts soon too! Please continue to leave your sweet comments on my blog, as well! :)
Blessings,
Rebekah
I'm sorry about your bad haircut! Hopefully it will grow quickly. It reminds me of the time I was 10-11 and got my hair cut ear-length. WAY too short!
Thank you again for the reminder that true beauty comes from within.
So sorry, Ella, that you got a bad haircut!
I too know what it feels like to have one of those...
But it is a very good reminder, as you said, to know that our beauty doesn't come from our physical appearance, but from our heart. :)
Hope you hair grows fast! :)
Kaysie
Alice, because my hair looks TERRIBLE that's why!! Maybe I will send it in an e-mail!
Erin, no, I don't mind at all. It makes me feel better ;-)
Rebekah, oh good. I felt that way because of something I said about a publisher....but I will talk about that later.
Anna, I also hope it will grow quickly. My hair is mid neck length...I will sstick to just above my shoulders or just below! However, even though I know the truth about beauty, I won't deny it is hard to remember!
Kaysie, yeah! Other people have had bad haircuts! Like I said above, while I nkwot the truth about beauty, it is hard to remember!
Thank you all for your sympathy!
Oh dear! I'm Sorry about your hair!
I'm afraid that everyone at some time in their life gets a dose of a bad haircut. It certainly does take a shot at a girls vanity. I know it did mine, badly. I had my hair fairly short several years ago, but to use your word, it had a style to it, so it didn't look bad. Then I got stuck with a girl who was just out of school. She asked me how long it took me to do my hair, and then she said "oh, I'll fix it so it won't take you long at ALL to do your hair!'. To shorten the story to the point, it's easy to do your hair when you don't have any.
I hope it grows back soon for you! Get some cute clips and eat lots of spinach ;)
P.S. Clips, my hair had been butched so short I couldn't even get ONE in. The batheroon floor turned into a river of tears every morning.
A big hug from me, Jess
Hey Ella,
I found your blog through Erin's personal blog and thought I'd say "hi". I've heard quite a bit about your from Erin. :) Hope the book is going well!
Isaac Harris
Jessica, oh golly! I am so glad I HAVE hair. Today it worked moderately well. We shall take it day by day!
Isaac, I also have heard a lot about you from Erin. The book is going very well. Thank you so much for asking.
I talk a lot about my friends, I'm so proud of them!
I greatly dislike bad haircuts! I used to have my hair about chin length (because it was easy to take care of) but now I haven't had it cut in a year and a half. I prefer it longer, because I can do more with it! I hope you don't have to deal with this bad haircut for too long!
I understand!!! I have had a couple really horrible cuts - and my hair doesn't grow that fast ;-)
It was humbling to say the least! Hope you and your mom don't have this problem for too long!
Allison and Mrs. Beverly, right now, my hair is working okay...but I will be glad to have it grow!
I can completely relate... Once, I got a haircut that I absolutely hated, so I tried to fix it myself...bad idea. It was so horrible I kept my hair in a ponytail for the entire school year until it grew back.
In His Service,
~Kirsten A. Gruber
Post a Comment