Reading....it is a favorite pastime of mine. It transports me to bygone eras; it teaches me new facts or unearths ones I had never known before. I try to read different genres, thus opening up many doors of knowledge and not just one.One such area I have tried recently is biographies. I read about Rev. Peter Marshall, and I was absolutely fascinated by what I read. So, I decided to get some books from the library about a few of my favorite "old" actors and actresses. (Humphrey Bogart, Michael Landon, Audrey Hepburn, etc.) I got this with a certain sense of naivety. Of course we have the Brittany Spears, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolies, and all the others that stare at us from supermarket tabloids--as if we are interested in who is dating whom, who has who's baby--certainly my favorites aren't like that!
May I just advise keeping your simple wishful thinking and NOT wreck it. My love of reading has unearthed stories of multiple marriages, extra-marital affairs, heaving drinking and smoking...things I wish I hadn't known! I thought highly of them (in a simple sort of way) and that has come crashing down. No one is perfect; sometimes, it just takes pleasure reading to remind us of that!
Never should we put people on pedestals, regardless of how "high" it is. When we do, we find that those fellow human beings are no different than we are. In fact, perhaps slightly more "messed up." We find that these famous people take many paths that they believe will make them happy, and in the end, they are more worse off than they were before.
We who have successful families and relationships with the Lord should take heart. Okay, we might not have the looks, the big bucks, the seemingly perfect lifestyle. We have things that money cannot buy; that makes us richer than they will ever be!











9 comments:
Let's not get a biography of Jimmy Stewart...we might find out he had 4 wives and even more affairs. I would rather think of him as the clean-cut, faithful, likeable man that he is in his movies!
I really enjoyed reading the biography of Peter Marshall! Thanks for recommending it! I definitely won't be reading the biographies of those you mentioned - it's very sad how a lot of lives in Hollywood turn out. Yes, we have to be careful in what we read!
I agree with your mom - I don't think I want to know if Jimmy Stewart had a life other then the type he portrayed in his movies! Also I hope your mom is feeling better - and that you didn't get the sinus bug.
It really bugs me when godly men and women of history are portrayed in film by those who are not worthy of that role....those that do not even profess to love God, let alone who live a life that is God-honoring. You have in your mind that the actor is a believer and passionate about the things of God because he portrays a biographical figure who was/is, and yet that actor doesn't give a hoot about God.
Mom, I quite agree on both accounts. I do not want to know if Jimmy Stewart had "problems." Also, it bugs me too when people who aren't believers in Christ play someone who is. It makes me wonder what they would say!
Anna, I am glad you liked the biography. Peter Marshall is fascinating. Catherine's beliefs seem a little funny, but I do not notice that with him. It wasn't that the books I read were bad; their lives were the problem!
Mrs. Beverly, my mom is all better. Thank you. I could have a little sore throat, but I am vigilantly trying to nip it in the bud, lest it get worse!
So true, Ella! We often overlook just how blessed we are! God is so good to us; far better than any of us could ever ever deserve!
I'm sort of afraid to read about some of my favorite actors too, as I'm afraid what I might discover if I did! Uh-oh...did you find out something bad about Michael Landon? I just love the way he was on Little House on the Prairie. I'm sure finding out bad things about your favorite actors can sort of sour their movies and tv shows to some extent. I guess that just goes to show us that we must not put people up on pedastals, for "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Thanks for this wise post, Ella! :)
I couldn't agree more, Mrs. Gardner! How horrible it is when that happens in movies! I'm sure those people would hate that!
I don't want to read a book about Jimmy Stewert either! I want him to remain in my mind as the loving man in It's a Wonderful Life. :)
What did you mean, Ella, about Catharine Marshall's beliefs being funny? I'm not familiar with her beliefs, so I was curious! :)
Rebekah, I don't wish to taint your opinion of Michael Landon, for you are right, it makes you a little bittersweet when you watch movies with people who aren't what they wish you to be. Let's just say that Michael Landon wasn't a Pa Ingalls in real life...and his daughter said it.
As to Catherine Marshall, she is more "penecoastal" in her beliefs. I don't want to say much, as I don't know everyone's belief system. She was just into speaking in togues and all that....way more than my family could ever be
That's a shame about Michael Landon!! :(
Oh, I see. Then her beliefs would probably appear "funny" to me and my family as well!
Post a Comment