Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Movies.....Week 4

I have no idea where the week has gone! It seems like it has been a never ending cycle of walking dogs out and studying anatomy and physiology! =) I almost forgot that it was Friday and I usually do movies today or tomorrow. It was Mom who said something! But never mind. Here I am, and here are four Christmas movies for your enjoyment. They aren't all old--in fact, only one of them is....but I enjoy them!


The Note--starring Genie Francis and Ted McGinley--Mom and I just watched this movie last week and we decided it is definitely getting added to our collection! If you have the Hallmark channel, maybe you saw it a while ago. But I don't, so I only just got it on DVD. It is based on the book by Angela Hunt (which I am currently reading.) It is the story of a reporter who discovers a note from a plane crash. Without much to go on, she seeks to give the rightful person the note. Along the way, she comes to have peace about things from her past. There is nothing objectionable and you probably will get teary-eyed!


The Christmas Box--starring Richard Thomas and Maureen O'Hara--When I first started watching this movie, I didn't know about the Waltons or Richard Thomas being John Boy. But now I do =) Anyway, I just love this movie. It is a must for every year in my book. It is the story of a workaholic, who while being a caretaker for this old lady's house, discovers the value of family. I encourage you to see it. I get teary-eyed in it too!


The Christmas Child--starring William R. Moses, Megan Follows, and Steven Curtis Chapman--Based on the book by Max Lucado (which I just finished) The Christmas Child is the story of a man searching for his family. Yes, he has a wife..and not that great of a marriage. But he wants to have answers about his adoption. So he returns to the place of his birth and in the end, all questions are answered. I think I get teary-eyed in this one =) But I love hearing Steven Curtis Chapman sing in the film.


White Christmas--starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera-Ellen--Okay, so most of you have seen this one. I will confess, this is not a musical I can get the rest of my family to watch with me. However, I could with these changes: Frank Sinatra instead of Bing Crosby. Maybe Doris Day in Rosemary Clooney's role. And Perhaps Donald O' Conner for Danny Kaye (though Garrett doesn't mind Danny Kaye =) All kidding aside, I like this movie. I get several of the songs stuck in my head--which isn't bad!

Enjoy some Christmas movies. Again, if you have seen any on this list, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts/opinions of them!

8 comments:

Sara said...

White Christmas! Our favorite holiday movie ever! The Christmas child looks interesting too! Enjoy the holidays!
~Sara~

Jessica McDonald said...

I saw "The Card" in our CBD catalog and thought it looked neat...now I'll really have to get it! :-)

And "The Christmas Child" looks especially neat too...I love Steven Curtis Chapman's music and, of course, Megan Follows is wonderful! :-)

I will agree about Donald O' Conner in place of Danny Kaye. For some reason Danny Kaye drives me crazy (maybe it was after seeing him in "The Inspector General"?).
But I've always loved Bing Crosby...maybe it's because he was my great grandfather's (on my Dad's side) best friend. :-D (Our claim to fame. LOL!) He even owned "McDonald Farm"!

Have a blessed week! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Love, Jessica

Sue said...

Hello, my Dear! Can't wait to see some of those movies...the ones we love to watch are "White Christmas", "Holiday Inn", "It's a Wonderful Life" and of course, "Little Women"...we love, love, love, "Little Women"! I think we have 3-4 versions...my personal favorite is the one where June Allyson ( one of Meghan's favorite actresses) plays the part of Jo March....it's great! It's the closest one to the book, in my opinion. Meghan is not feeling well today at all...maybe if she gets out of bed, we'll watch it and try to cheer her up! Maybe someday, you & your mom and the girls and I can watch it together....just not at Christmas...we have a live tree and I hear that your mom would have a raging headache from it! God bless you, my Dear! ~Mrs. G~

Julia said...

Hi Ella!

You've been awarded! See my blog for details.

Blessings!
Julia

Jenna said...

We have the case to "The Christmas Child" but for some reason the DVD isn't in it:( I've never seen it before, but would like too... maybe I'll borrow it from the library~

Jenna

Anna Naomi said...

Believe it or not, I had never watched any of these movies until last night when we watched White Christmas. It was a cute story, but I was disappointed in how skimply dressed the women were in most of the dances. It's sad that costumes consisted of so little even back then. If the skirts had been longer or covered in front it would have been nice... As it was, we fast-forwarded through most of them, especially since my brother was watching. It saddens me when most costumes for dancing are so skimpy, today as well as back then. It's something I want to change!

Ella said...

Sara, I would encourage you to see Christmas Child!

Jessica, get "The Note" It is worth it--at least to me! And the same goes for 'Christmas Child." With what you said about your great-grandfather and Bing, I can see why you say leave him in....but I know you prefer Donald O'Conner.

Mrs. G--Thank you so much for your sweet comment! Your personal favorite of "Little Women" is mione as well. Should we ever make it back your way, I know Mom and I would love to watch it with you all.

Julia, thank you! You are so very sweet!!

Jenna, find the disk! Or rent it from the library!

Anna, I know what you mean about the outfits. I guess I am sort of used to it in White Christmas, not that is an excuse. Garrett doesn't watch it with me, or else I would probably think it through more so!

Sara said...

I've only seen "White Christmas", but the other movies sound really good too! I've heard of the Christmas movie with Steven Curtis Chapman. I think my dad told me he saw some of it and liked it a lot.

And I can see where you could switch Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney with Frank Sinatra and Doris Day. Although I've gotten so used to hearing Bing Crosy sing "White Christmas" that it just wouldn't seem the same! I could see Donald O'Connor playing Danny Kaye's role too...although Danny Kaye is a favorite in our household so we love watching him in White Christmas. Besides "It's a Wonderful Life", "White Christmas" is my favorite Christmas movie.