Friday, December 05, 2008

Sort of Christmas Movies.....Week 3

With the feeling of Christmas in the air, I thought December whould be filled with some Christma movies =) However, since I am going back and re-watching a lot this year, I will share those with you when I have "double-checked" them. Yet, this week, I would share four movies that are very sweet and take place around Christmastime. I wonder if you have seen any of them:


Penny Serenade--starring Cary Grant and Irene Dunne--This is one of Mom's absoulte favorites. She cries in it everytime. =) Though the first time we watched it, we knew we were missing a scene, so we had to get the DVD another time. It is the story of a married couple, who are unable to have children.....so they seek to adopt. It is funny at times and tender throughout. There is not a single issue in it. (And a little piece of trivia--Cary Grant was nominated for the Best Actor award for this film.)


I'll Be Seeing You--starring Joseph Cotten, Ginger Rogers, and Shirley Temple--Another very sweet and tender movie. Though it isn't overly so, as Dad likes it a lot. Ginger Rogers plays a woman on Christmas vacation.....from women's prison.....and Joseph Cotten is a shell-shocked veteran. They both meet and fall in love, but their pasts threaten. Shirley Temple is a teenage in the film, so don't expect the one you are used to. Again, there is not a single issue in the movie.


Christmas in Connecticut--starring Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan--The first time I watched this movie was in June, so while it takes place around Christmas, you don't have to only watch it then. Since Mom and I were the only ones who watched it, we want Garrett and Dad to see it this year. It is funny. Barbara Stanwyck is a columnist who is not what her readers think her to be. She is not a housewife who bakes delicious dishes. But when her publisher announces he is coming for Christmas, and he is bringing a soldier.....well, she better start. The only thing in this movie is that Barbara has to appear that she is married, but everything is innocent and FUNNY!


Holiday Inn--starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire--It always used to drive me crazy when I read the song "White Christmas" was in Holiday Inn. I thought it premiered in White Christmas first, but not so. This movie spans throughout the whole year, so there are a whole bunch of songs written by Irving Berlin. It's about two guys who fall in love with the same girl....


Hope you enjoy some of these! If you have seen something, I would enjoy hearing about what you thought!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen any of these except Holiday Inn-a family favorite! :) Penny Serenade looks good! I'll have to see if our library has it.

Jenna said...

Hi Ella~
I haven't seen any of these videos, but I think that I'd like to borrow the first one from the library! It is so nice to read reviews on movies from a Christian young lady...in this world, it's about impossible (for me) to find something appropriate to watch:(
Thank you for taking the time to review on them!
I'm always encouraged when I read your posts!!!

Jenna

Jessica McDonald said...

I have only seen "Christmas in Coneticut" and "Holiday Inn" and LOVE both of them! I'll have to get the others from the library. :-D

Have you ever seen "The Ultimate Gift"? It's a 'Christmas-y' movie (at least, I consider it to be.) and so touching and sweet! There was a tiny bit of mature subject matter, but nothing that I considered to be offensive.
"A Christmas Carol" is another good one. Though I don't really enjoy it as it's a bit too freaky for my taste. :p But the rest of my family loves it! :-)

Have a marvelous week!!!!

Love, Jessica

Sara said...

Hi Ella! I saw Penny Serenade awhile ago- I forgot it was a Christmas movie! It always made me cry too. I've never seen I'll Be Seeing You or Christmas in Connecticut (even though we have it!), but I have seen Holiday Inn. I like White Christmas a little better than that one, but Holiday Inn is still really cute.

Bonnie said...

I've just been going through your movie reviews :-)

Can I just add to this one that I have watched 'I'll Be Seeing You' and thought it was a great movie, although the scene where Ginger Rogers is describing the incident that got her into prison may be disturbing to some people, and inapropriate for younger viewers. That's just my opinion.

Also, is there a reason why you don't have a list of labels on the side of the blog? It makes it a lot easier to navigate around if you do! :-)