Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Evolution" of my Style and its Icon

















For some reason, style screams being a taboo word to me. Perhaps because a church I went to for a few years preached from the pulpit that wearing attractive clothes was wrong. Maybe it was because I didn't know what to think about the subject so I avoided it. Frankly, it doesn't matter where I was; it matters more how I got there and where I am going.




The last thing I want to be is considered "immodest" by general society. And the purpose of this post is not to rehash the often brought up subjects that inevitably come from posts such as these. I do not want to have debates about pants vs. skirts, long skirts vs. knee length skirts, long hair vs. short hair, etc. That is not the point of what I am doing here today. For me, it is about thanking a TV show that made me find the balance in my fashion =) And as I harp quite frequently, what I was led to do doesn't mean you have to do it that way. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.




I was a person who thought I had to wear shapeless clothes to be considered modest, feminine, and God honoring. I thought that if I had an interest in fashion, I was in sin....but over the past two years, The Lord showed me that was not true. I could desire to wear more fashionable clothes and do so in a modest way. And he used "What Not to Wear" to point me in the right direction. Yes, a secular TV show taught me something ;-) I do not agree with all the choices, by any means, but there are some nuggets of grain to be gleaned.



Watching episode after episode, I discovered what my style was. I found out what things looked good on my body type. Like how I cannot really wear wide cut pants because on my petite frame, they will drown me. I learned that jewel tones are the best with my skin tone. For petite people, knee length are the best skirts to wear, as they don't cut you off proportionally. And dresses, fashionable, classically cut ones, aren't as foreign as we are made to think.




Once I figured out what worked for me, I put it all together...and everything clicked. Certain materials are better for me to wear, certain styles are better for me to wear. (I can't wear cotton shirtdresses; they just look *bad* all the way around =() And now because of What Not to Wear, my fashion icon takes on the form of a princess, HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge....or Kate, as she will always be in my mind! =)




Rare is the occasion when you can call Kate being immodest. I think that she oozes a classic, timeless look that probably will be emulated for years to come. She knows what colors look good on her (she loves navy ;-); she knows what styles work for her. She recycles the same clothes on numerous occasions, thus making herself very approachable to the average civillian. Her best accessory is her smile; she is definitely Prince William's best asset...these are things I want to say about myself someday. And so, whenever I see things about Kate in the fashion world, I take notice...because they are often ideas that God has given me as guidelines for what I am to wear.





I know you can send a message wearing any type of clothes you want, but personally, I like showing that Christ does approve of fashionability. When a coworker compared me to Coco Chanel in my birthday card, I could hardly believe it. My hopes had paid off. I was reflecting Christ by being modest and letting inner beauty reign, while at the same time, wearing classic clothes from a bygone era. I must say, I love it!If I ever get to be in a position to walk a red carpet (which I highly, highly doubt), I plan on taking my "P's" and "Q's" from a recent outfit of Kate's. Modest, classic, timeless, fashionable...several adjectives that I love to hear. And because of What Not to Wear I do get to hear them every now and then. Christ has my heart, fashion has my clothes...that is a winning combination in my book.

6 comments:

Patti said...

Yes, What Not to Wear has been beneficial to both of us. Great fashion advice, especially the advice that dressing femininely doesn't mean you're weak.

As you know, Grace Kelly is my fashion gal...she's who I would like to be compared to.

Finally, Kate is beautiful. She's elegant and classy, very much worth emulating.

Love you, sweet girl!! I'm so proud of who you are!

Livia Rachelle said...

Oh, I love What Not to Wear. It has greatly helped me. That show and the books Color Me Beautiful and Good Girls Don't Have to Dress Bad have been my main style influences. I have not quite reached wearing my style although I know what it is.
I also love Kate's style. One of my friends bought the September '11 People magazine which was about her and her style; I loved it and wanted to pick up a copy.

Rissi said...

It is so refreshing to know there are other people who believe they can dress "modern" and still be modest. My syle is definitely so - I don't believe that dressing in modern styles means you cannot be modest at the same time. So you wear a layered look or put a cute jacket on over a blouse that maybe has an immodest cut in the back, something will work.

And, Kate is lovely. There is rarely a time where she doesn't look stunning. =)

Really fun post, Ella! Thanks for sharing.

Charity said...

Wow, a sermon was preached on how it is sinful to wear attractive clothes? ... how... applicable of them. =P

I have never heard of this show, but you have me curious -- I'll have to look it up. Admittedly, there's a fashionista in me somewhere, I just never let her out since wearing NYC styles in the country would make me stand out like a sore thumb!

Ella said...

Mom, that has been one of the things I have appreciated about WNTW....I hate that femininity is considered synonymous with weakness. It isn't true....I have loved going on this fashion journey together.

Livia, first off, thanks so much for stopping by. I love WNTW's books as well...and I have read the ones that Clinton has done on his own. Very eye opening. I am very guilty of reading everything about Kate I can get my hands on ;-)

Rissi, you and I are definitely on the same page. You can be modern and yet be modest. One thing I have discovered is the power of the cami or the bolero ;-) It truly does make it easier to find clothes.

Charity, well, let's just say that the pastor's wife and everyone in the congregation wore long and dowdy outfits and looked at you strangely if you didn't. And it showed from the pulpit too, meaning that opinion was reflected.....you must watch the show if you can for the comedy factor alone. Some of the women have very sorry wardrobes. Like, a few shop at "adult" stores and think it is appropriate to pick up your kids in. It's hilarious.... Sadly, I have an NYC style on a poor man's budget. Thank goodness for ROSS sometimes ;-)

Charity said...

I watched an episode last night and ... I enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing them get to the heart of why this particular person did not dress up (because she didn't think she was pretty). That is so... true. On the days I don't feel pretty, I do the opposite of what I should -- I wear lousy clothes, instead of dressing up and making myself feel pretty. Anyway, I like Clinton (?) -- his facial expressions alone are priceless.