Monday, September 19, 2011

Emmy Fashion--MY Picks

'Tis that time of year, folks. It is time for me to remark on Hollywood's glitz and glamour, make known which dresses were my favorite....and fantasize about which ones I would wear if given have the chance.

Because I have received much condemnation for such posts in the pasts, I am starting with my disclaimer right off the bat. I do not endorse every TV show these actresses star in. Goodness, I don't watch ninety-five percent of them, so I couldn't even if I wanted to ;-) Nor do I approve of wearing these dresses "off the rack." Every one has different tastes and standards when it comes to modesty. Like I don't have a problem with a one-shouldered gown; some of you might....and that is totally okay! But please don't judge me if I like the style/color of a dress that could have a tad too much cleavage. After all, if it were me, I would have the designer tweak it.

Now that we got *that* out of the way....are you ready for one loaded fashion post?!


You would have to watch "The Office" and know actress Kate Flannery's character to know why I love this look. Usually shlumpy (yes, it is a word I made up) and crass is Kate's alter ego, Meredith...you couldn't tell that in this periwinkle blue gown. I love it! No cleavage, it's one shouldered, she has auburn hair...I cannot find a single thing wrong with it.


Claire Danes is lovely yet again for me (she was in my top 5 list for the Golden Globes this past year.) I think there is a classic air to her that not all actress have. Most wear solid colors on the red carpet, so I am glad that Claire changed it up with an assymetrical pattern. (I wonder if her eye candy husband, AKA Hugh Dancy, was present? If so, that is one gorgeous couple!!)



I am very torn on Dianna Argon's look. I love, love, love the color. Electric blue is highly UNDERused on the red carpet. But I personally think the neckline looks close to choking her...and her hair style ages the "Glee" actress. What a shame...last year, she was definitely the best dressed. Not so this go around.


Maybe breaking up with Derek Jeter has made Minka Kelly want to go for a less sultry vibe. But whatever it is, it is working! I usually hate long sleeves (I personally rare them, even in the winter time), but I like these ones on the Friday Night Light's actress. I love the cascading tiers of lace, the neckline is modest without being frumpy....and it is definitely figure flattering.


Angela Kinsey is also on "The Office." Her character is known for being strait laced and cardigan wearing...which is why I like a tiny bit of skin on her. There is nothing to fault with the look; the colors looks gorgeous....but it also isn't a risk. Which makes me ask the question: would you rather have some risk look boring and yet perfection at the same time--or take a fashion risk and bomb? Sound off!





Maria Menounos could have been my favorite look of the night. Granted, the black is so expected--I would have loved this dress in a different color. Perhaps the electric blue of Dianna's? Anyway, I am a girl who would, if given the one time chance, wear something with a little bit of sparkle to it. This has the sparkle. And her hair is what mine looks like in my dreams! Yep. I still love this dress as much as the first time I saw it.


Naya Riveria (of Glee) does a different take on the black dress. The neckline is very unique; I think that is my favorite thing about it. Does it look to anyone else like it is too long for her? It appears to be dragging on the floor. Also, the hair does age her as well. Clearly, I like hair down =) But still, for someone who plays the mean girl on Fox's show, she doesn't look too mean with that smile.


Kate Winslet always looks amazing. Can I just say that? She doesn't look her age--she knows what looks good on her body type and she wears it to perfection. I wouldn't have had the top going as much "peekaboo", but other that that, nothing should be changed. In fact, if this dress were shorter, and neckline altered, I could see it made into something for work. Okay, did I just make that a misstep? If so, I totally didn't mean it that way =P


Evan Rachel Wood for another black beaded gown....and it was yet another one I loved. I honestly can't tell you what it is--they just look classy to me. I hate the hair, but look at that train!!




My "Is That Her" award goes to Sofia Vergara. Usually she has her cleavage spilling out all over the place. This time, it is more reigned in with the strap. I love the color of the gown, how it shows off her curves without being too sexy, and even how different her hair is. Seriously, that so doesn't look like the "Modern Family" actress. That's a good thing.


Because my LEAST favorites would take up room, I shall link to them. Click on the actresses' name and you will be good to go.


Gwyneth Paltrow--in a word, belly dancer


Heidi Klum--Makeup is flawless, dress is a mess


Christina Hendricks--Same Ole, Same Ole--TOO MUCH CLEAVAGE


The job is now, yours!! What ones did you love? Which dresses did you hate?

4 comments:

Rissi said...

Minka, Maria and Evan Rachel looked lovely! Black dress... it is such a classic look! Kate Winslet does always look lovely, but this wasn't my favorite look for her. Aimee Teegarden and Kaley Cuoco looked pretty (cassic black again). Ahh, Hollywood and the glitz and glamour; it is fun to pick out which dresses were the best, isn't it?! Fun post, Ella!

(And you are right, Gwyneth looks terrible in that... whatever it is! LOL!)

Charity said...

I wasn't too impressed with any of the dresses -- well, Anna Torv was gorgeous but she always is; Kate Winslet certainly knows how to dress her hourglass figure, and I did like Claire Danes look -- but ugh, Gwyneth is so lovely, and so talented, and has such HORRIBLE taste. The only time I have ever seen her look good was in that big pink dress she wore a long time ago -- ever since it's been black or nude colors, which do NOTHING for her. She needs a stylist.

Christina Hendricks has a terrible stylist as well. She has a Marilyn Monroe figure -- for heaven's sake, dress it up! She is absolutely stunning on Mad Men, and absolutely frumpy-slut in person. Bad, bad, bad.

Patti said...

Ooh, I like Minka and Maria's dresses the best. So elegant and classy.

Livia Rachelle said...

I love the first dress-the blue is one of my favorite colors and mermaid one of my favorite styles. I like one straps although I don't exactly know if they are modest-I still wish I could wear one. I would wear this dress somewhere if my mom would let me. If I had to put another strap on I would use strings of beads-maybe pearls to keep the asymmetrial look. None of other dresses are my taste, but I LOVE the first so much!