
Book: The Help
Written by: Kathryn Stockett
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars
Mississippi in 1962 was a racially divided place. Jim Crow Laws were in full effect; there were different restaurants for white and colored, different schools, even different bathrooms. As one might imagine, there were also vastly different ways of living. The white women barely lifted a finger, gossiped about city happenings and social functions at fancy dinners.....the same cannot be said about the colored help. They were expected to take care of the children, do the housework, listen to everything they were told, and NOT say anything negative. Period.
Minnie has a problem doing that; she is a maid who has probably worked for every household in Jackson, Mississippi. She just cannot seem to keep her mouth shut. It gets her fired every single time. By lying through her teeth, as the expression goes, she has wrangled a job with Miss Celia, one of the new arrivals in tow; Miss Celia doesn't know her Terrible Secret. She is an odd one, but Minnie is determined to keep this position. Especially her alcoholic husband will probably beat her even more than usual if she loses another one.
Abileen is on the opposite end of the spectrum. She has been the maid/nanny for several homes; each of the children has found a way into her heart. That is saying something, because ever since the death of her son, she doesn't open up as easily. Abileen is definitely one who goes with the flow, but her latest household has come up with the idea of a colored bathroom in the garage. That is taking it rather too far, wouldn't you say?
But for Minnie and Abileen, their lives are about to vastly change when Skeeter Phelan walks into them. Skeeter isn't like most of her white friends; she thinks that there should be some changes in society, changes involving whites and blacks and integration. Desiring to embark on a profitable writing career, Skeeter has come up with an idea.....writing a tell all book about "The Help" as the maids themselves see it. Minnie and Abileen are undeservedly nervous and apprehensive. What about the consequences? This IS 1962, after all. What ensues will change every one's lives forever!
**********************************************************************
This New York Time's Bestseller first drew my attention because of the movie. The previews always looked good and then when my Nana said it was, I definitely knew it was. (You see, Nana doesn't watch new movies, so when she likes something, you tend to be shocked and influenced. =) But because I am trying to be a good girl and see movies at the cheap theater, I thought I should do the book first. My aunt was gracious and sent me her copy of the book. Let me tell you, it was a FANTASTIC read.
A good friend of mine says it is very much like "To Kill a Mockingbird" in its undertones. She is right--it did transport me back to Civil Rights Era America, just like Harper Lee's classic does. I found myself instantly in love with the main characters, their stories, their backgrounds and differences. The book does a superb job at making sure each character gets their full attention and due. Not every book is like that.
This book has heroines and definitely a villain or two. Since the majority of you have probably seen the movie (which yes, I will do a review on whenever I can see it =), you know the plot lines. If you haven't seen either, I want you to find the magic for yourself. There are so many layers and complexities, some laughter and a few moments of ire. Is it entirely clean? No--language is a little coarse at times, and there is one really strange scene...you will know it when you get there. However, I wouldn't let those deter you from reading "The Help."
One thing I can guarantee, you will never look at chocolate pie the same way again =)











2 comments:
Now that you are finished, it's my time to read it. Aunt Dee told to drop whatever else I was reading to to be sure to read The Help.
Love,
Mom
I started reading this before seeing the feature film, but since I was reading a handful of other novels, I didn't finish it. I plan on doing so in the next three months to conicide with the DVD release - which I will no doubt buy!
Thanks for pointing out your URL change, Ella. I had already (somehow) figured out how to re-follow. =)
Post a Comment