Friday, September 09, 2011

The Legacy Letters--a Book Review



I could have avoided the pain. I didn't need to remember one of the darkest days of my generation's history. Surely, getting my glasses streaked with tear stains isn't an ideal scenario. But The Legacy Letters was something that I had to read. And I am so glad I did.


The byline reads "messages of life and hope from 9/11's family members." Contained within the pages are 100 letters from family members to their dead loved ones, the mommies and daddies, the sons and daughters who never made it home that Tuesday morning. We get a snippet about the deceased and then, we discover how the family fared since 9/11.


The stories where I seemed to cry the most where the ones written by the kids, the ones who either never knew their parent or were too young to remember. Their heart wrenching statements make you feel their pain. I also wept with the stories of finding love again, knowing that their former spouse obviously brought their new love into their path. You can just sense how bittersweet everything is for them. They have let go of the past, yet it will always be a part of them.


I don't ever want to forget what happened that September day. Indeed, I have been watching a lot of programs and reading a lot of books about the subject. This book made the day all the more poignant for me. If you want something that reminds you of all that was lost, and yet, all that was gained, please pick up this book. I am SO glad I did.....tears and all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds extremely powerful -- I cannot believe it has been TEN YEARS.

Patti said...

Oh, I know this is a moving and powerful book. All you had to do was read me a couple lines of a couple letters, and I was ready to lose it. Very poignant and beautiful addition to anyone's library.

Ella said...

Ruth, I cannot believe it has been 10 years either. The memories are so vivi, it can seem like yesterday....other times, it seems as if the years have just flown by since that day

Mom, I still have it, so you might want to read a few more!!

Ella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.