
Title: Heat Rises
Author: Richard Castle
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
NYPD Homicide Detective Nikki Heat is not happy...for numerous reasons. It is the hottest weather the city has ever experienced, thus adding aggravation to one of her biggest ones ever. She is stuck with the journalist Jameson Rook accompany her on cases...all in the name of his research. He is a loon some minutes, totally ignorant the next, and yet, Nikki is finding herself being drawn to him with a sort of magnetism she never expected.
Because he is around every minute, Nikki finds it difficult to solve the murder of a real estate tycoon. It could have been a suicide--jumping from your balcony often leads to that conclusion--but evidence is pointing to something different. Is it his trophy wife, who is addicted to men and plastic surgery? Is it something connected with a betting agency? Is it his financial advisor who was fed up with his client? There is so much left to be uncovered....Nikki is thankful for her fellow detectives, because she isn't going to get anything positive from Rook...or so she thinks.
****************************************************************
I'm not going to lie. Once I jumped on the "Castle" bandwagon, it only made sense that I would read the book that is being written in the TV show ;-) If you don't watch "Castle," I know that concept sounds a little confusion; if you have, you know it was an ingenious move on ABC's part to publish a book that plays an integral part in the smash TV series.
Because I do watch the show, and knew a little bit to begin with, I can see the parallels between Nikki and Jameson to their alter egos Kate Beckett and Richard Castle ;-) Every character in "Castle" finds their way into the book--Esposito, Ryan, Lanie, even the captain. The dedication is exactly what it is in the TV show and the acknowledgements feel absolutely legitimate--like ones you would read in "real" books.
It isn't clean. There is a really sensual scene between Rook and Heat (which doesn't happen in the TV show =( ) And there is some minor language. However, it was a fun book to read on numerous levels.
If you are a mystery fan, read it! If you love "Castle"....then definitely read it!











3 comments:
Ha! How funny that you read this, Ella! I've seen it at Target and the like but never read it, and then the other day, I saw the S3 episode titled "Nikki Heat." It was too comical. =D Glad you enjoyed this book.
I love the show and read this one too. Great honest review.
Great review -- since I share your love of the TV show, I really need to read the books someday! :)
Post a Comment