
I used to want to own a tea room. No joke. Ever since I was eight, my mother and I have gone to a tea room every so often, enjoying the slow pace of sipping tea and eating a Monte Cristo with some soft music playing the background. Owning a tea room of my own had such a romantic air to it. It even had a name: Daffodil Lane. Fresh flowers would be everywhere, piano sonatas would play over the airways, and delicious food would come from the kitchen doors, among the recipes would by my Nanny's "Peaches and Cream." At the time, I wasn't passionate about cooking, but I did see myself working at Daffodil Lane. I was going to be the hostess and everyone would adore me.
Only I grew up. =D I realized that running a tea room would cost money, money that my family didn't have. I figured out that I would have to go to work every single day. We would have to deal with angry and disgruntled customers--and now that I work in the public sector, I am graeful that I do not own a restaurant. Dreams are sometimes meant to be only dreams. They are things that bring us happiness and enjoyment and every time we think about them, we are taken back to the days when the dream began.
It is wonderful when you find a book that causes all of those dreams to come flooding back. For me, it is the "Tea Shop Mystery Series" by Laura Childs. They take place in Charlestown, South Carolina (which admit it, that sounds like a purely romantic place to have a tea room.) The owner of the Indigo Tea Shop is Theodosia Browning who along with her "master tea blender" Drayton and cooking extraordinaire Haley run an amazing business for local citizens and tourists alike. However, murders have a habit of finding their way to her--so in the midst of planning parties, Theodosia is searching for the truth.
I have read all the books in this series--the most recent one, "Agony of the Leaves" was read in forty-eight hours. They aren't the caliber of writing of say a Jane Austen, but they still provide countless hours of enjoyment. I can picture my "Daffodil Lane" where Theodosia's own tea shop is, right in the heart of historic Downtown Charlestown. My trusty beagle dogs could easily change places with Earl Grey, Theo's Dalbrador. In so many ways do I live vicariously through these books.
Perhaps that is why I look forward to a new story coming out every year. For a brief moment in time, I can wonder what might have been....even if it was entirely unrealistic to begin with. And you know what, that is okay =) The past has shaped us, it gives others insight into how we used to be.
It might be a tea room for me. What is one thing you live vicariously through?











3 comments:
Great post, Ella! =)
Your idea sounded like a lovely one. Owning a tea room does sound like a romantic notion, doesn't it!? I like what you said about some "dreams" meant to just be dreams. I am the first to admit that I have had dreams - and still do, but being an adult now, I now the reality of (most) them coming true is next to impossible. As long as we realize that, there is no harm in day-dreaming... right!? ;-)
Tea rooms are delightful places. I wouldn't give up on owning one -- in the right community, with the right menu, they can be enormously successful. We have one small tea room in our county, and she is so busy she doesn't even need to advertise!
But... I think those books sound lovely. I may recommend my mother try them out -- she loves mysteries.
I live vicariously through fantasy. I dream of talking to cats and riding dragons and being just generally awesome.
I no longer think I'd like to OWN a tearoom. Rather, I would like to visit tearooms in dozens of different cities. (We'll try a different one in Boston, next time!!)
You and me and tea...it's always been such a delightful time.
I love you!!
Mom
Post a Comment