Saturday, March 03, 2012

The Vow--A Movie Review





Title: The Vow (2012)



Starring: Channing Tatum, Rachel McAdams, Scott Speedman, Sam Neil, Jessica Lange



Rating: PG-13



My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars




Leo (Tatum) and Paige (McAdams) Collins have a very happy life and marriage. Leo's recording studio is beginning to get off of the ground. Paige is a freelance artist, busy working on some crucial pieces for a Chicago building. They have been together for five years and while they don't have a ton of money, they have each other and fabulous friends and numerous happy memories. Nothing could go wrong....or could it?

A brief moment changes their lives forever; the Collins's car is rear ended, sending Paige through the window. After days spent in medically induced coma, Paige awakens--with no recollection of who Leo is. The last five years are gone from her memory.


Though estranged from her parents (played brilliantly by Jessica Lange and Sam Neil) in actuality, Paige does not remember this. She doesn't know why she wrote them off. The last she knew of romance was being engaged to Jeremy (Scott Speedman.) Leo feels helpless; he feels like he is losing his wife. He makes it his mission to have his wife fall in love with him all over again.


********************************************


I'm a sucker for a romantic drama--I'm not going to lie to you. When I first saw the commercials, I knew this was a movie I had to see (a la "The Notebook"). There is no easy way to say this: I am so glad that I did!! I have been impressed with Rachel McAdams in the films I have seen her in. Channing Tatum is not the greatest actor (and he even admits that), but I do like the guy. Movies that are romantic, but on a deeper level, appeal to me. I always hope that Hollywood is going to promote a different type of romance than the "sexual escapades" people only focus on.


For the most part, "The Vow" does have a positive message. Tatum's character goes through a lot of pain and heartache as his wife does not remember him. He takes back on her first date, he recreates the traditions that they always did (like going in Lake Michigan once a month even in wintertime). He even does the "sacrifical" thing (but that is another blog post for another time) in order to show Paige he cares about her peace of mind. The movie puts marriage and fidelity on a high plane--for once! That being said, all of the Christianity is going from the film. I hate that I have come to expect that anymore.


Content isn't spotkess content wise. There are two scenes in which things are implied, but the camera pans away before anything major happens. We get a brief glimpse of Paige and Leo wrapped in sheets; another moment we get a brief glimpse of Leo's rear. (That totally took me by surprise. =P) Language is basic profanities--nothing too major. Overall, I was plesantly surprised with how things were on the content scale.


"The Vow" was beautiful and endearing; it had heart and lots of it. For this hopeless romantic, I do dream of saying my own vows one day.....but for now, this was good!

2 comments:

Charity said...

I'll rent this when it comes out. I was, however, quite disappointed to discover that yet again, Hollywood has taken all the Christianity out of the true story. =(

Rissi said...

I CANNOT wait to see this one, Ella! I love Rachel and Channing. Despite his own statements (I hadn't read that), I think he is a great actor. Perhaps he hasn't reached award-winning yet, but he is great, nontheless. ;D

So glad you enjoyed this one...