Sunday, March 25, 2012

Something Only God Can Do





We serve an amazing God. He is a god rich in abundant mercy and goodness. He extends grace when we have failed time and time again. He convicts and challenges us when we need to change. God, also, loves to knock our socks off.




Recently, the Lord opened some doors for my brother, doors that couldn't have been opened if God hadn't lined all the details up and tied them in a beautiful bow. For this pessimist, I saw firsthand that sometimes crazy things really do happen--as opposed to believing they are not plausible and unattainable.



My brother is an amazing woodworker; he makes everything from pens to guitars and ukeleles. I kid you not, they are positively gorgeous. I'm not that creative of a person--wood is different than words. Well, recently he made an electric guitar out of a license plate. (I know, it's hard to picture. I wish I could describe it fully =P) It wasn't just any license plate; it had a line from a popular Blake Shelton song on it. My dad decided "hey, let's see if we can get this to Blake Shelton when he comes to town."

I admit it, I didn't think it was possible. My dad was dealing with so many booking agents and radio station personnel and people at the concert venue that it was making my head spin. When transfers keep happening, it often leads one to believe that they will get nowhere. But for some reason, the Lord wanted the guitar to get to Blake Shelton. Doors did open up the day he was in town, quite speedily in fact...and I got to meet the guy, as you might have guessed by the picture below =)




The powers that be were impressed with my brother's guitar, so much so that other bands might be having one of his guitars. It's exciting, really it is, but for me, it's more of an opportunity to praise the Lord than to toot our own horn. All of this came about because of God. He opened doors, he put my dad in touch with the right people. He blessed my brother with the talent in the first place. None of this starts with us: we are only instruments that he uses.




I am always thankful that God delights in knocking my socks off. Sadly, I have more "doubting Thomas" moments than I would like to admit. These cause me fall on my knees, yet again, and say "Oh how infinitely wiser are you, Lord. There is no one like you." That is a lesson worth learning every single time, no matter how big or how small.

5 comments:

Patti said...

While I am the eternal optimist, I, too, can struggle with being a doubting Thomas on occasion.

That whole situation was so exciting and definitely not something we could have orchestrated ourselves!!

Love,
Mom

Rissi said...

That is AWESOME, Ella - good for your brother. I hope he continues to perfect this because it sounds like a great talent (gift) that he may be able to build a business from. Good luck to him.

Oh, yeah! And how exciting for you to have met Blake being such a fan of his music. ;-)

Anna Naomi said...

Such a neat story! God is so awesome! Excited for your brother!

Unknown said...

Ohmygoodness, that is awesome Ella! Thanks so much for sharing this story!

Charity said...

THAT IS COOL!!