Wednesday, January 16, 2008

For The Jane Austen Lover...Like Me :-)

I can hardly believe that I only began watching the Jane Austen movie adaptions and reading four (working on five) of her novels a year and a half ago! It seems like forever! She is probably my favorite author--Louisa May Alcott is second. However, I do try to watch how often I watch and read these delightful classics. They can breed a spirit of discontent if we aren't careful.


Yet, these books transport me back to a different era--one I would gladly go back to if I could. You all know my thoughts on Regency England to believe me capable of that! Why we traded that for what we have now I will never know.


So, PBS and Masterpiece Theatre have undertaken the task and made film adaptions to all six Jane Austen classics. The stories of true love, intrigue, secrets, courtship, and social standing air from 9 to 10:30 on Sunday evenings. So if you can either record or tune it, you should. (Your brother might think you're nuts, but your Mom will love them with you!) I enjoyed Persuasion last week...and I am looking forward to Northanger Abbey. It looks bizarre, but people say the novel is bizarre!

I am Elizabeth Bennet!

Take the Quiz here!

(And while I can't approve everything on this site--I haven't looked into it--I can say you should take this quiz. It is a lot of fun! See if you are like your favorite Jane Austen character!)

19 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

I didn't think we got PBS, but it turns out we do, it's just really fuzzy. So, I haven't been able to watch them, oh well! How many of the books have you read? I think I've read all but Northanger Abbey. Enjoy the shows!

Anonymous said...

Since I don't have a blog where I can record which heroine I am, I will just put it here. I am Elinor Dashwood...and she is my favorite of Jane Austen's heroines!! I am glad I come up as her...although some of those questions were pretty hard to answer anyhow, so if I had chosen a different response, I would have been someone else.

Anyhow, wouldn't it be lovely if women still dressed in those beautiful, elegant dresses? And if the men still dressed that elegantly? And if the men still honored and respected women as they did then? Wouldn't that be delightful!!

Erik said...

Northanger Abbey does look weird. But it should be interesting. Also, the show reaired Monday night. Check your listings. So if you miss it on Sunday you have a second chance to watch.

I done the quiz before. I think I will do it again!

Love YA!

Rachel said...

Oh how I love Jane Austen. Her books have so much charm to them.

I don't know why people think Northanger Abby is so bizarre. I really liked that book. It seemed to be an easier read than the others too. Though I will admit that the A&E movie I saw of that book was very gothic and strange. But if you have a good sense of humor, it can be very enjoyable. The masterpiece version should be very interesting to watch.

Miriam N. said...

I watched Persuasion and enjoyed it. Actually, the book Northanger Abbey is not that weird. It deals with a girl who has read too many Gothic novels and has let her mind become to imaginative. She sees things as more than they really are.
But the movie does look a little different. I have a really old adaption of Northanger Abbey and it's terrible! I hope this one is better.

Miriam N. said...

Oh, and I took the quiz. Last time I did it (quite a while back), I was Elizabeth Bennet, but this time I was Elinor Dashwood.
Both are favorite characters!

~*~Jessica~*~ said...

So nice to hear from you Mrs Gardner :) I have missed reading your blogs, but I always love getting comments from you! We still need lots of prayer! Two of the kiddies woke up this morning throwing up. We are still waiting for baby, and praying that no one else gets sick.:(

Gabrielle, I'm so glad you posted the Jane Austen quiz! I was actually looking for it the other day, I wanted to put it on my blog sidebar, but I couldn't find it. Funny, on one quiz I come out as Elizabeth Bennet, then on another one I come out as Elinor Dashwood. It always depends on the questions I guess.

I miss having PBS, we haven't had cable for several years now. I don't miss it, just occasionally wish that I could watch what's on PBS. Thank goodness for the library, right? I rented Wives & Daughters, North & South and Pride & Prejudice :). So I'm set for a while.

Yes, my birthday is March 1st. Being in the DMV the other day with Mike just reminded me that I have to go in to change my drivers license. Ick.

Talk to you later!

Beverly said...

I am most like Elinor Dashwood :-) There were a couple of questions I was stuck on, though!

I missed Persuasion, but I plan on taping all of the other Austen programs. I love the book Northanger Abbey, so I can't wait to see it portrayed!

Ella said...

Anna, PBS is one of the few channels that we do get in clear. Perhaps I will send you the DVDs when I am finished recording them. AS to the books, I am working on Northanger Abbey. That will only leave Persuasion.

Mon, I know, some of those questions are really weird. Though I wind up Elizabeth Bennet all the time. And yes, I wish the dress was still like that. The guys in crvats are a good addition too!

Erin, that is good to know. I will have to check my station. Yeah, we shall see about Northanger Abbey. I can't wait to see who you come up as!

Rachel, ah yes, Jane Austen...so good. I haven't seen the A&E adaption, so I can't compare it.

Miriam, Elinor is a good character too. I just speak a little to much (but not to Marianne's extent!)

Oh, I love all those movies you mentioned. I own them all! Garrett can't understand why, but I love them. Let me know what you think. Glad I was able to help you get the quiz!

Mrs. Beverly, yes, some of those questions are very hard to answer. None of the answers fit!

Anna Naomi said...

Oh! I forgot to say who I was. I'm Elinor Dashwood on this quiz. On another quiz I was Jane Bennet, but this one doesn't have her as a choice. For some reason I tend to identify more with older sisters - I don't know why, for I'm the next-to-youngest in our family!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ella,
I took the quiz and I am Elinor Dashwood! Both of my sisters knew I would be her (or Jane Bennet). Every time we watch the movies, they always comment on how much I remind them of these two characters... funny!

Have a great day!

Kaysie

Ella said...

Hmmm...both you Anna, and you, Kaysie, are like Elinor. I can be too...but when she is so quiet about her opinion..that is DEFINITELY not me!

Anonymous said...

Northhanger Abbey is weird. I would strongly recommend that younger children don't watch it. It has scary moments, and eerie music. I love Jane Austen. I was Cathrine Mooreland the first time I took the quiz, but I was Emma Woodhouse the last time I took it. I am so excited to see some Jane Austen's that I have not seen. We missed Persuasion, but hope to see the rest of them.
~Amy~

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

What a neat thing for PBS to do!! I heard about it right before Jan. 3rd when it began, and taped Persuasion, but it somehow got taped over by something else!! :(

Since then, I've unfortunately completely forgotten about it. :( Are they shown every Sunday?

I've actually never read any of her books(I've only seen Emma, 2 versions of Pride and Prejudice and one version of Sense and Sensibility), but for Christmas I received "Jane Austen: The Complete Novels". I'm so excited!!! :) I'm reading the first one right now-Sense and Sensibility. It's amazing to me how stupid we've become in our writings over the years! lol When you read a Jane Austen book, you're amazed by how well she writes(yet at the same time, the books are easy to understand). We've lost that art of well written literature over the years!

Thanks for this post!

Love in Christ,
Rebekah

Ella said...

Rebekah, yes, the movies are being shown every Sunday. I enjoyed Persuasion. Northanger Abbey was pretty good, though questionable at two points...which was disappointing. Mansfield Park was on last night, but I haven't gotten to watch my recorded tape yet.

I love Jane Austen's novels. I also have all of them; they are all in one book. I have read Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Mansfield Park, and I am working on Northanger Abbey. I love the videos....which versions have you seen?

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

I couldn't agree with you more, Mrs. Gardner! It truly would be delightful. Those regency dresses are so pretty; I wish I had lived back in that time period! But, I have to keep in mind the fact that God chose to place me in this time period for a reason.

Back then, females were feminine and males were masculine; oh how much we've lost!!!

Ella, have you ever heard of the Jane Austen book entitled Lady Susan? I had never heard of it; I had heard of her other 6 novels, but had not heard of Lady Susan until I discovered that it was included in the Jane Austen complete works book that I got for Christmas. Supposedly, she wrote that one first, but it was the one that was published last.

I wish I hadn't missed those! :( I'm happy to hear that Persuasion was good; that's a shame about Northanger Abbey. Let me know how you like Mansfield Park.

I've seen the Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly in it. I've also seen the 1940 version with Greer Garson(or Carson; I don't exactly remember what her last name was) and Laurance Olivier. The 1940 version was really funny because of the woman playing Mrs. Bennett-she was just perfect for the role! :) I really want to see the 6 hour version; have you seen it? Is it good? I've seen the Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. Are there any other versions of it? The Emma one that I saw had Gwyneth Paltrow in it; are there any other versions of that one?

Have a great night!

Rebekah

Miriam N. said...

I don't like the Mansfield Park that much at all. I didn't like the way that the heroine (Fanny) is represented or dressed!

Rebekah,
The long Pride and Prejudice (actually 5 hours) is so good!
I could watch it over and over. The actors and actresses are wonderful and it's almost like watching the book.

There are other versions of both Sense and Sensibility and Emma, but the ones that you mentioned are the best that I've seen. PBS is showing an Emma version I have not yet seen, so I'm hoping it's good. They are also showing a newly made Sense and Sensibility. I hope it's good, too.

Well, it's late and I need to retire.

Miriam Rebekah

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

Hi, Miriam! :) Thanks so much for that info! That's great to know.

Hope you're having a wonderful week.

Rebekah

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

I took the quiz, and I'm Elizabeth Bennet.