Monday, December 12, 2011

A Friend Found in a Toy


For Andy, there was Woody and Buzz Lightyear. They were his friends all through childhood. They had so many adventures together, both in make believe and when they toys came alive when alone. Bad guys were always vanquished and everyone, at day's end, would be tucked safely into their own beds. Nothing would get in the way--not the creepy kid next door, or Emperor Zerg, or Stinky Pete, or Lots of Huggin' Bear.

Yet inevitably, Andy has to grow up. The toys are put away in a chest, rarely touched. College is no place for Mr. Potato Head or a plastic dinosaur. But those memories are not easily erased. They are ones that will bring a smile to your face no matter how many years go by. That is why Andy doesn't sell them or keep them at Sunnyside Daycare....they are given to Bonnie who will cherish them for many years, just as he did. And best of all, he gets to play with them one more time upon delivery to the little cutie pie.

I bawled when I saw Toy Story 3 in the theaters. I loved it in a way that animated movies don't often achieve. It resonated with me. Some like to say they grew up along with Andy; I know I go in that category. He was moving into different faces of life when I was, yet he was also sad to fully leave childhood ways aside.

My "Woody" and "Buzz" comes in the form of my Samantha doll. It was my favorite Christmas present ever. I got her when I was eight and oh, the adventures I had with her. I often played that I was her mommy and we had tea parties together. I was a doctor who doctored her extreme ailments and brought her to work with me. When my Bitty Baby joined the crew, Samantha became a big sister....and she was a very good one.

It was around age fourteen and fifteen that I ceased playing with her. I definitely had gotten too old for those things--plus I had homework ;-) But I didn't have the heart to put her away in the attic or in a box. She still sits on a shelf, slightly dusty, but a constant reminder of my childhood. Maybe a reminder to always keep a childlike faith and yet grow and mature at the same time---instead of becoming more of a cynic. All I know is that while I don't change Samantha's clothes anymore, I will be like Andy (whose first intentions were to put the toys in the attic); I plan on keeping Samantha for that day when, Lord willing, I have a daughter of my own.



She will have her own adventures with Samantha, just like Bonnie will undoubtedly have different adventures than Andy have. But regardless, our toys will always be our friends.



You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles
From your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy, you've got a friend in me
Yeah, you've got a friend in me


--Randy Newman--




So thank you, Samantha. Thanks for the memories......and thank you, Pixar, for helping me relive them every single time.

4 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Sweet thoughts. I got my Samantha doll on my 8th birthday. We had a lot of adventures growing up. I actually ended up giving her away... She'd gotten marked up when Jubilee was little and found some green marker. But, there are definitely fond memories, as I played dolls SO much when I was little!

Rissi said...

Ah! Here is that post you were referencing. ;D

O.K., so... Toy Story. I never did love the movies a lot, but they are really cute, and my mom thought the third one was the best. There were a lot of people who cried during that one...

American Girl... love, love that company! And, while I am at it, I'll just confess that every Christmas, I still pick something out of the catalog and my parents buy it for me as a gift - I am way past that age, I know. ;D My grandmother got me a couple of the dolls, then my parents gave me Kirsten. I collected several over the years by earning money for them and even today, I am still tempted to buy the newer ones like Rebecca and Cecille-Marie. ;D LOL!

Unknown said...

What a sweet post and a great reminder of favorite childhood toys! :)

Charity said...

My American Girl doll is Kirsten. I took meticulous care of her, and she's stowed away in a box, awaiting the day I give her to another little girl. Maybe one of my own, maybe someone else's -- but someone who will love and appreciate her as I did. =)

I cried both times I saw Toy Story 3.