Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The House of Silk--A Sherlock Holmes Novel



Title: The House of Silk, a Sherlock Holmes Novel

Author: Anthony Horowitz

Published: 2011

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


*********************************************


If you haven't figured it out by now, I am a Sherlock Snob. I love the man created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and if anyone is not faithful to his representation, well, then, I won't get near it. (Evidenced by the fact that I will NOT do the Robert Downey Jr. films. I get irritated just watching the commercials.) So, I am sensitive towards books as well......but upon doing research into "teen reads" at work, I stumbled upon this author and I just had to check out the book.


What I discovered was that Anthony Horowitz created a novel that the Conan Doyle Society added to their "canon." Meaning that now, this book will be considered part of Sherlock's story along with those penned by the original creator. That is high praise, but I had to see for myself.


What came about was a book that I did not want to put down. It was written much like Sherlock's beginning stories, with Dr. Watson penning everything to paper. We have Inspector Lestrade and even The descriptions of London are very vivid and the story is quite interesting. We go from a mysterious man--to a theft--to white ribbons and Holmes on trial for murder. Yes, we run the gamut....but I loved that.


Here is the only thing some people viewed negatively. The end result of where the mystery leads is definitely a taboo topic. It is argued that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would not have written something along the lines of pedophilia. I beg to differ--it is never graphic, it is not condoned, and actually all of the evidence points to it. It did take me by surprise (I can never know Sherlock's genius before he does), but I wasn't offended by the journey taking us there. Bad guys get busted, after all ;-) Yet it is up to you as to whether or not you want to try it.


Doyle is the master, but Horowitz can hold his own. If he does publish more, I will read them. I do love a journey back to 221b Baker Street....when it is done properly ;-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you reviewed this novel, Ella! I've been curious about it, particularly since I'm a fan of Horowitz's work on Foyle's War.

Charity said...

Have you ever read "The Surrogate Assassin"? It's been years since I read it, but I remember loving it -- the author took Sherlock Holmes and had him solve what "really happened" with Abraham Lincoln. Cracking good stuff.

Stay away from the Laurie R. King Sherlock Holmes novels though, they'll drive you nuts.

Carissa (Regency Woman) said...

Ooooh, sounds exciting! I've never actually read a Holmes story by anyone other than Doyle (unless you count the David Pyrie "Murder Rooms" novels). But this one sounds like something I would love, so I'm checking it out of the library tonight! I despise pedophilia but if it's not condoned and you don't read graphic details I can usually stand it.