
Movie: We Bought a Zoo
Starring: Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson, Elle Fanning, Colin Ford, Maggie Elizabeth Jones
Rating: PG
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
***************************************************
Benjamin Mee (Matt Damon) is at the end of his rope. The love of his life, Katherine, died six months earlier, leaving him bereft and the lone parent to raise his two children, Dylan (Colin Ford) and Rosie (Maggie Elizabeth Jones.) It isn't easy--especially where Dylan is concerned. He has been expelled from school and withdrawing more and more into himself. Benjamin is no longer the "Anderson Cooper" of the journalism world and he is tired of all the women at school drop offs giving him lasagna dishes....it is time for a fresh start.
What better way to do that than buy a zoo? Benjamin does such a thing, not knowing a blessed thing about animals or running a wildlife park (complete with lions, tigers, and bears, OH MY ;-)) And this wildlife park is in need of someone who can restore it to its former glory. Kelly Foster (Scarlett Johansson) is one of the lone zookeepers still around, willing to give Rosemeer Wildlife Adventure Park a chance....and Ben a chance at making a go of it. It won't be easy for Benjamin to do any of these things, but life is an adventure. You have to try and sometimes, you do succeed.
****************************************************************************
I think I have developed a new tradition......go see a Matt Damon movie the day after Christmas. I did last year (with True Grit) and I did this year. I will be up front with you. He is the primary reason why I went to this movie. I'm a huge fan of his and I loved all of the promotion he did for this movie, talking about his wife and daughters. But I also love zoos. It is weird, I know, but I love wild animals. Seeing ones up close that remind you of the exotic travels one might only experience in books. That is an emotion zoos awaken in me. So, We Bought a Zoo is definitely my kind of film.
What I also loved is something that will throw a lot of families off. It's rated PG, but it is NOT a slapstick, animals talking, belly laughter because of jokes kind of film. Advertising could lead some to believe that it would be. Rather, it is a film that does talk about the death of a family member, a child being rebellious, money struggles, and coming together like a rainbow after a rainstorm. I like those themes in a film.....but eight year olds probably find them boring. In my crowded theater, I wonder just how many kids wanted to go see Alvin and the Chipmunks or Arthur Christmas instead. Language also makes the rating deceptive--I caught the Lord's name in vain a few times. More importantly, the S*** word was said about four times.
Yet it comes down to my experience--did I enjoy it? Absolutely and completely, I did! I'm not a fan of Scarlett Johannson, but at least she didn't do the whole sexpot thing. Elle Fanning plays ScarJo's niece and I liked her character....she has grown up since Because of Winn Dixie. The kids are great actors and Rosie, well, you just want to gobble her up. The musical score of We Bought a Zoo is lovely and the animals are examples of God's amazing creation.
I don't want to go out and buy a zoo, but I will watch this true story again. (No lie, it is a true story.) It's inspiring and sentimental, yet thought provoking at the same time. I like that in a movie. Little kids might not, but big kids will.....and the zoo brings out the little kid in all of us. Who doesn't like that?!











4 comments:
You know me, I don't really go for slapstick, or comedy in general. I far prefer a film that touches my heart, which comedy doesn't do. Oh, lighthearted moments are fine, but I like the bulk of a film to be serious, so this actually sounds interesting.
I will wait until it comes out on video, and then I will watch it with you.
Love,
Mom
So glad you enjoyed this one, Ella!! I thought it sounded/looked really sweet, and like you, I like Damon (awesome actor).
Hey, he'd best have a new movie coming out next Christmas, right!? Otherwise, you'll break tradition. ;D LOL!
Happy 2012, Ella!!
Mom, I think you would have enjoyed it. It was not slapstick in the least (although the preview for the new Three Stooges movie definitely was)
Rissi, yes, he MUST come out with a new movie next year!! =D Matt Damon has been a favorite of mine ever since the Bourne trilogy.
Happy 2012 to you as well!! <3
Gotta' love those Jason Bourne movies, Ella! ;D I cannot believe he won't be returning for number four - at least writers were smart enough to create a new character rather than replace Damon.
Here's rooting for a "Damon Christmas move 2012." =D
Post a Comment