Tuesday, December 06, 2011

The Tudors, Season 1--A Movie Review





Title: The Tudors--Season 1


Starring: Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Sam Neil, Callum Blue, Henry Cavill, Natalie Dormer, Henry Czerny, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Jeremy Northam


Rated: TV--MA


********************************************


Divorce. Beheaded. Died. Divorce. Beheaded. Survived. That was the way many school children are taught to remember the order of King Henry VIII's wives. Indeed it was how I was--but Showtime created a TV show that would make the stories come alive. What one watches is an costume drama that entertains, though not without its flaws.


Here is the problem. I cannot give a review as I usually do them. For you see, I watched this series edited. There is no way I can recommend it otherwise. (Trust me, I came across some things on Youtube and I am so glad that I do not have to sit through them. *Gag*) The Tudors is a major bodice ripper--there is a lot of skin action going on--as well as some language. But since my friend edited out the content via ClearPlay, I have been able to enjoy them. I know the time period was filled with debauchery as it is; I don't need to see it.


Henry VIII holds a fascination for me; it has ever since high school. So, there are a few inaccuracies that bug and annoy. Things like names, dates--they are changed for artistic license. I get why it was done (you can only fit so much in during an hour time slot), but that doesn't mean I always have to love it.


The acting is superb on all ends. Henry VIII (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) is, frankly, brilliant. I have to remember that at one point, Henry was a young guy and not the fat dude we see in paintings. He pitches really great tantrums as well ;-) Sam O'Neil plays Cardinal Wolsey--if I had one thing to say, I wish he was more villainous. That is how I picture the schemer to be. My friend writes that Katherine of Aragon (Maria Doyle Kennedy) is actually portrayed in a sympathetic light and I am inclined to agree. However, she also plays Vera Bates in Downton Abbey, so it wasn't always easy to be on her side.


There were so many people I knew watching this show. I think I got excited a few times going--"ooh, I know who that is." Gabrielle Anwar (Burn Notice), Jeremy Northam (Emma), Henry Czerny (Revenge), Callum Blue (Princess Diaries 2) all play vital characters to the plot. It was immensely enjoyable to see them. Also seeing them in gorgeous costumes, and not in modern day attire, was fun. I do not envy them filming in those outfits day in and day out.


I am very excited to watch season 2--edited still. If you can get your hands on such a copy, I would totally say watch The Tudors. As it is, I have added it to my guilty pleasures list. I probably shouldn't enjoy it like I do =D

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so right about The Tudors. I could really get into this series but they cross SO. MANY. LINES. *sigh* Glad you were able to enjoy them via some extensive (I imagine!) editing!

Rissi said...

Interesting show. It isn't exactly historically correct from what I hear, but it's still "good."

You are so right - this is one of those "guilty pleasures" series - but the costuming is lovely. I really wish they'd continued with another series that covered the Tudor heirs' reigns rather than starting a new series about the Borgias... but what-ever. =)

Charity said...

I didn't use ClearPlay -- I edited everything myself, on my computer. ;)

You really, really need to get over the Vera Bates thing considering she was in "Downton Abbey" for all of five minutes total. =P

Otherwise, glad you are enjoying it. =)