Friday, December 23, 2011

Favorite Christmas Viewings and Listenings.....and Not So Much ;-)

I have been MIA for the past week, which is a shame really. I had so many Christmas posts spinning around in my head. But school took precedence.....yet now I have two glorious weeks off from school books and then you will be stuck with me. Aren't you lucky? ;-)

A Christmas post is swirling around in my head to be done on Christmas Eve (or Day), but a fun one has been spinning around as well. I'm borrowing a play out of my friend's playbook and doing a post about what my favorite TV show Christmas episodes and movies are. =D

TV Shows First

Touched by an Angel Christmas episodes--I don't always like the super laid back attitude that the show takes towards God and Christianity, but the episode where Monica ministers to someone and shares with them the story of Mark Twain's later years. It makes me cry every time. Another episode where I cry is when a brother comes to terms, and begins to love, his autistic brother.

The Man in the Fallout Shelter--Bones Season 1--It is the episode when Brennan brings back a body to her lab. Nothing out of the ordinary right? Well, the body has a toxic fungus all over it, causing the Jeffersonian Institute to go into lock down....with everyone in it. Bones doesn't see what is so importance of Christmas; every one else had other plans and expectations of where they were going to be. It is a nice episode that delves slightly into the character's personal lives.

The Santa in the Slush--Bones Season 3--This episode cracks me up from start to finish. It involves the murder of a man named Kris Kringle, a Santa for hire. Meanwhile, Brennan is trying to fulfill her father's wish for a family Christmas (which is complicated when family members are in jail) and if she has to kiss Booth under the mistletoe to get it, she is willing. I love this episode...big time. =)

Mr. Monk and the Secret Santa--MONK Season 4--Who hates Christmas more than Adrian Monk? I can't think of anyone. He hates parties, he does want a gift that is a living thing....he would definitely prefer solving a murder involving drugged alcohol....a secret Santa gift that was meant for Captain Stottlemeyer. We laugh a lot in this episode

Almost any NCIS Christmas episode--NCIS has a tendency for a heartwarming Christmas episode. The one on a few weeks ago could have been my favorite thus far (and since I have friends who haven't watched it yet ;-), I shall not reveal what it was about.) Also, there could have been some of the episode where they have dinner at Ducky's.....or was that at Thanksgiving? LOL

Movies Christmas isn't Christmas Without

A Charlie Brown Christmas--What can I say? I am a little kid at heart. I adore this movie...especially that in it brief half hour time period, we are reminded of what Christmas is really about. Through the words of Linus, we are drawn back to Bethlehem and where our thoughts should lie.

White Christmas--Bing Crosby singing this iconic song screams Christmas.....so does the musical. Who cares if it is old? I still love it as much as I did when I first watched it. I have all of the songs memorized; I sing along and when my brother can sit through it, you know that it is a winner.

It's a Wonderful Life--Who could hate this movie? I ask you!!!!! This is our Christmas night tradition. George Bailey, Clarence the angel, Bedford Falls.....this movie makes me so happy every time I watch it. I cannot wait to see it this year.

Christmas Box--I haven't read the Richard Paul Evan's book, but I have watched Richard Thomas's film. Again, it puts Christmas in perspective, reminding us that love, family, and a child are what we need to focus on and all the days of the year......though it does drive me up the wall that it was clearly filmed in summer and takes place in Utah....around Christmastime.

The Nativity Story--Nothing puts the reminder of the true meaning of Christmas in our hearts more than the actual story. The call of Mary (and of Joseph) to fulfill prophecies by traveling to Bethlehem and having the Savior born there. Ah, our Christmas Eve tradition

Hallmark flicks--Okay, there are some really bad ones out there and I have a high tolerance for cheese. ("Annie Claus is Coming to Town" has been one of the worst thus far.) But The Christmas Card is an absolute must. For their new offerings this year, I liked Debbie Macomber's Trading Christmases.

The Holiday--I do not approve of this movie completely, but there is a lot of good in it. Seeing Jack Black in a romantic comedy, be a sweet character, and not remind me of Nacho Libre is a huge accomplishment. Favorite scene ever is the one with Jude Law's daughters....yep. I am a sap.

Favorite Songs

O Holy Night--When you get a powerhouse voice singing this....WOW
All I Want For Christmas is You--Glee's version is catchy (and no, I am not a Gleek)
All I Want For Christmas is a Family--Steven Curtis Chapman's song about adoption speaks to my heart in a major way
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's song is beautiful. I love to sing all of the verses

I have other ones.....but they are too numerous to list.

Okay.....what I Hate

Elf--that movie is super stupid. Brother loves it, I hate it.
A Christmas Story--Granted, I have never watched it, but the commercials don't look appealing. And I hate the hype every year.
The Little Drummer Boy and Do You Hear What I Hear---I hate those songs.... HATE THEM =D

2 comments:

Charity said...

TBAA had some amazing episodes. It was one of my favorite shows when it was on the air.

People who don't like It's a Wonderful Life are just... sad. =P

I wanted to like "The Nativity Story" more than I did. I blame it mostly on the actress who played Mary -- what a personality-lacking, deadpan girl, with no chemistry, no spirit, and no spunk. I can't figure out if she's just a bad actress or if they wanted her to be very "Catholic" and saintly by having no personality!

Rissi said...

Love The Holiday and White Christmas. Sadly I didn't get my usual viewing in of the latter last year... now who knows if I will this year, either. =)

The Christmas episodes on NCIS are always SO touching - that episode you are talking about was Thanksgiving - Abbey calling Gibbs "Giblets," that was priceless.

Oooh! That Annie Claus is Coming to Town wasn't too good!? I thought it looked really sweet. =)

This was a really fun idea - I should have done a copy-cat post from you and Charity. Oh, well! Maybe next year. ;D

Merry Christmas, Ella!