Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball--a Book Review



Title: Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball

Author: Donita K. Paul

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars



Stepping into a secondhand bookshop, Cora could never have believe that her life was about to change. She meets the bookstore owners who seem to belong in a nineteenth century Dickens novel....and who are talking about the Wizard's Christmas ball. It is the last thing she plans on going to, but then she meets up with Simon, a fellow coworker.


Simon is also invited to the ball and just like Cora he has no intention of going. But when his sweet, mentally challenged sister, Sandy, finds out about the ball, there is no stopping her. Paths cross with Cora repeated and one must ask the question: is there a reason for this?


I did not hate the book, though it did veer towards a fantasy story more than I anticipated. I mean, there are people who remind me of Flora and Fauna in Sleeping Beauty. There is an evil relative much like the evil stepsisters in Cinderella. Dresses seem to take on a mythical element much like something in a Disney film. I also really liked the Christian messages that were conveyed and there was an element reminding us all of the true meaning of Christmas. That was one of my favorite parts.


But the writing style was, in my opinion, of poor quality. It drove me up the wall. I didn't find myself in love with most of the characters, with Sandy being the exception. The plot was occasionally bizarre and entirely predictable. It made for a quick read that while albeit pleasant, not necessarily a favorite.


I received this book free through Blogging For Books.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this book last year, but it is not an all-time favorite or anything like that. However, I did feel like it would make an excellent TV movie!